My tortoise won't eat, and is foaming at the mouth!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi @Rachel Prior and a very warm welcome to the forum.

Has your tort changed his mind? Hope to hear that he has and that he's eaten.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
Took him to the vet. All that's going on is that he has a calcium and Vitamin A deficiency, which can be treated. That's what's causing his lethargicness and his refusal to eat. He'll be just fine!

Bee62

Germany
Took him to the vet. All that's going on is that he has a calcium and Vitamin A deficiency, which can be treated. That's what's causing his lethargicness and his refusal to eat. He'll be just fine!

Did the VET a blood test to know that calcium and Vitamin A is too less ?

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
The vet checked him out, weighed him and looked at him throughly. He felt his shell and said that he was definitely lacking the proper Vitamin A and calcium needed.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
He gave me a type of medicine fed by a syringe, but I can't figure out how to give it to him. (It's by mouth.) He won't willingly open his mouth and he keeps sucking his head back in his shell before I can do it myself.

Melis

Maryland
Try to gently hold him behind his head so he can't retract back into the shell. Then use something like the tip of the syringe to pry his mouth open. Be careful when injecting into his mouth, as you don't want him to aspirate.

Mrfuel

Illinois
Whenever I reach for my tortoise, he retracts, as soon as I pick him up, out his head comes...also have read that holding him a bit upside down will get his head put...... sounds like you need more hands for giving meds..
Good luck

Melis

Maryland
Whenever I reach for my tortoise, he retracts, as soon as I pick him up, out his head comes...also have read that holding him a bit upside down will get his head put...... sounds like you need more hands for giving meds..
Good luck
Yes, of you have help and have someone slightly tilt him, he will stick his head out. Just try to be gentle, no sudden movements. Have you had any luck today?

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
No. I tried spreading a little of the gel on his mouth and he kind of smacked his lips together like trying to eat it. He seems to be interested in it if it's squirted on a napkin in front of him, but not when it's in the syringe. He still has not ingested any.

Melis

Maryland
Maybe try mixing it with something to give it a consistency that he will be able to eat. An organic no sugar baby food may work. I've also read of people injecting it into a favorite food. I tried strawberries with my girl but she refused. That's when I knew I would have to get medical intervention because she never refused strawberries.

Newark, DE
No. I tried spreading a little of the gel on his mouth and he kind of smacked his lips together like trying to eat it. He seems to be interested in it if it's squirted on a napkin in front of him, but not when it's in the syringe. He still has not ingested any.

Maybe try putting it on his salad or, if you feed cactus pads, try putting it in/on there. That's the only way we could get one of ours to take medicine! Good luck!

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
He has not ingested any. I'm not able to sneak up and gently grab his head. I've seen videos where they gently pull the heads from the shell, but he's so tiny it's impossible.

Melis

Maryland
It's been 3 weeks since your post about the medicine. Have you contacted the vet?