My tortoise won't eat, and is foaming at the mouth!

Rachel Prior

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
So my one and a half year old tortoise stopped eating a couple days ago, and I called the place I got him and they said to increase the temperature. Granted it probably was only like 80 in the basking end in the first place (bad move by me). So I bought a heat bulb and a thermometer and it got up to 90. Then the next day he was foaming at the mouth. I thought he was too hot so I soaked him in cool water and the foaming stopped but he still wouldn't eat. He had dried spit on his mouth when I woke up today, so I called the place I got him again and they said it was probably respiratory infection. He doesn't seem to have any problem breathing but I don't know what to do! Help!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What type of tortoise? How are you housing and heating/lighting it?
What is the temp and humidity and please post photos of those items to help us to help you.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
What type of tortoise? How are you housing and heating/lighting it?
What is the temp and humidity and please post photos of those items to help us to help you.
His tub is probably 30 in by 18in. It is being heated by a 100 watt heating bulb. The temp when he was foaming yesterday was around 90 but I don't know what it is now. Probably less, and that's my fault. I should have made sure his enclosure was heated properly. The humidity is around 30 percent. I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to. He is a baby leopard tortoise.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
The foam is now more of a mucus. It doesn't seem to be coming from his nose. He won't eat, he won't really move. He just kind of sits there and smacks his lips. Is he trying to dislodge the mucus or something?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
To post a picture if you are on a PC, click on the UPLOAD A FILE icon next to the green POST REPLY one at the bottom of the screen.
This should allow you access to the photos stored on your computer.
Give him a nice twenty minute soak in warm water just above the level where his top shell joins the bottom bit. Make sure he can hold his head up above the water, you might have to help him if he's weak, but let him drink and clear his mouth out.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
Okay thank you I will try that. I think his enclosure is too dry and so I will attempt to raise the humidity as well.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The conditions he is in are very wrong. He is too hot and dry.

Please take him to a good reptile vet and get him treated, and be sure to read the care sheets you have been advised to. Hope things improve after that! All the best.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This species needs hot, humid conditions. Your enclosure is far too dry and too small.
You need a substrate that is deep and can hold water, fine grade orchid bark, coco coir or cypress mulch.
Place a flat piece of slate or sandstone to put the food on which will keep the dirt off it and help keep his beak trimmed.
Use a bigger water dish that he can climb in and soak, a cheap, shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate works best for this.
It is imperative conditions are changed and you follow the care sheets I have linked or he will die.

Newark, DE
I do not know much about Leopards but I think the enclosure looks really dry. I'd get rid of the sand (?) substrate immediately and follow the exact directions on the care sheet here on this forum to correct the substrate, lighting, temps. In the meantime - get him out of the heat and soak him. He could be dehydrated/overheated/etc. If you haven't reviewed the beginners mistakes and the care sheets yet, I would do that ASAP.

The top is his current setup and the bottom is what the foam/mucus looks like.

Rachel Prior

Oklahoma
I already realized that the conditions were not okay after joining the website, and it's something I'm changing ASAP. But I still don't know what's causing the mucus and lack of appetite.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Bad conditions !
Your tortoise is probably getting too hot under that lamp without moisture.
He may need a vet visit but will not get better until you change his environment.
Not ASAP, now.

Newark, DE
I already realized that the conditions were not okay after joining the website, and it's something I'm changing ASAP. But I still don't know what's causing the mucus and lack of appetite.
It seems from the responses here that it could be caused from being overheated - so he definitely needs moisture and I don't think you're going to be able to get him better until you fix the conditions he's living in. I would also get him to a vet - there is a list of tortoise vets on this website. But the very first thing I would do is soak him, immediately replace that substrate and fix the temps/humidity. These are all things that you can do right away - even if you can't move him to a bigger enclosure.

Maitaimommy

Rachel,
We all make mistakes! You're here and you're aware of the problem(s) I believe you are taking the appropriate steps to correct them. Please call a vet and ask about the mucus and lack of appetite right away. Wishing you and your little one the best.