Finding dandelions

jeninak907

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I just moved to Myrtle Beach SC from Alaska. I thought that it would be easy to find dandelions. Well easier said than done. Because up in Alaska they are EVERYWHERE! I didn't think to harvest any seed because I assumed they grew just like they did in AK. I was wrong. Lol. Well I did manage to find some seeds and I have them put away for next spring. But I am not sure how to plant them. Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had planted some in coconut coir. They weren't able to get big, as my tort ate and trampled them. I would just plant them in some good organic soil.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I've just sprinkled the seeds (on a non-breezy day) on the top of the soil in the enclosures, then toss a light covering of organic soil over the top to prevent them from blowing away and hide them from birds. I've also got some flower pots that I put them in, just for back up trimmings to feed the torts when they've devoured those growing in their enclosures.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I wish I knew. I can't get them to grow no matter what. I think it is too hot. They grow everywhere in my yard but when I harvest or buy seeds, they get about an inch tall and just die out. Pretty sad I can't grow weeds.

jeninak907

5 Year Member
South Carolina
I think they like a lot of water because in AK it rained a lot. And they popped up down here after a bunch of rain. So maby good soil and lots of water? Thats that I will try next spring.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Perhaps you don't have to wait until spring. All the dandelion here in Maryland are turning into poofballs. I figure, if they're naturally trying to spread seeds now, you should be able to throw some of your seeds outside now, too. Granted, from what I've read, dandelion seeds seem to never grow where you want them to and yet grow in abundance where you don't. I guess they're called annoying weeds for a reason. If you need more seeds, I have plenty saved up from April. I also saved a bunch of plantain seeds as well.