Experimenting with color

allegraf

10 Year Member!
So we recently moved and had to build new tortoise pens. We decided to try to divide the herd into smaller selective breeding groups like we always planned but never got around to doing. Here is the first segregated herd.

Wicked (m), Mango(f), Squeeze(f), and Lemondhead(f).

Wicked is our most colorful male. Mango is a tortoise from CDmay's giant Darth Maul she has lovely splotches on her neck. Squeeze is one of the reddest girls I have and Lemonhead is my yellowest girl with lovely color on her neck as well. I am hopeful that these will produce some outstanding hatchlings. I debated whether to put Rambutan (my orange girl) in the mix, but she is with two other males and should still produce exceptional babies. Plus she is larger than the four. Wicked is gorgeous but still a smaller male. Here is the to selective breeding. Too bad it will take years to see the results.

Mango and wicked (in the background)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503150745.707104.jpg

Mango and Lemonhead
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503150793.558131.jpg

Squeeze, mango and Lemonhead
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503150822.807528.jpg

Lemonhead, mango, squeeze and wicked. mango has not developed the lovely doming shell of Darth Maul. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503150953.947941.jpg

Sorry the photo is a bit cloudy, the sun was coming up and affecting the shot

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503150878.156380.jpg

Bryan

10 Year Member!
You have accumulated an incredible group Allegra. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they will eventually produce for you.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Any photo that shows all of Squeeze's shell?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Lemonhead is the most intriguing of that group in my book.
Neat looking animal that has very unusual coloration...and I know for a fact that she was highly marbled as a youngster.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
They all look great. Can't wait to see what they produce.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Curious which male ended up with Rambutan? Never realized just how yellow Lemonhead is! Seems like her marbling is more subtle than it used to be but could just be my impression.