Emergency!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
So my mom decided to blast the air conditioner and I have no night heat! The humidity is 50%-60%! should I leave in his day heat all night? I have a heating pad I borrowed from my sisters gecko but it's not cutting it! I don't want his enclosure to be cold and wet! I didn't even know it got cold upstairs because I was down stairs! The temp is about 75°. Do I just leave on the day heat and let him walk around all night? I feel like such an idiot!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You can leave the day heat for now, one or two days won't upset his sleep patterns to much, I would suggest you get either a CHE or black light for night time heat.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
dmmj said:
You can leave the day heat for now, one or two days won't upset his sleep patterns to much, I would suggest you get either a CHE or black light for night time heat.

Ok thanks dmmj! (I got so lucky someone was on here!) And should I put the heat lamp over his hide? Or in the center.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would keep it where you normally do.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
dmmj said:

Ok thanks dmmj! (I got so lucky someone was on here!) And should I put the heat lamp over his hide? Or in the center.
Some of us on the other side of the Atlantic are just starting the day... it's 9am here. There are people around the world 24/7 on TFO; that's what makes it so good :)

esiotrot

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
JoesMum said:
Some of us on the other side of the Atlantic are just starting the day... it's 9am here. There are people around the world 24/7 on TFO; that's what makes it so good :)

I agree with this 100% :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
JoesMum said:

Oh cool! I'm in Southern California USA so it's 1:11 AM here :p

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So do we... but we'd like to have some SoCal weather! Air conditioners are not installed in homes in this country generally! :D

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
75 degrees at night is not bad, even with that humidity. some keepers prefer to have a nice 15-20 degree drop between daytime and nighttime temps. My night temps in the house fell to around 75 when I kept mine inside and they were fine. If you are worried then put a heat lamp on at one end and see if he goes to sleep under it or prefers the cooler temps. Just go with what you feel makes him more comfortable.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Personally, I would get the humidity up to at least 80% but don't do this until you can get the temp up and not lower then 80, day and night, with a basking of 95 or above

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your current level of humidity and temperature are about what I have mine set at during the night time for my group of leopards. There should not be a problem, unless your tortoise can't heat up during the day.

What are your daytime high's?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i would make sure the air isnt blowing into the enclosure.. and get the CHE.. can you close the Air vent in the room he is in?

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Laura said:
i would make sure the air isnt blowing into the enclosure.. and get the CHE.. can you close the Air vent in the room he is in?

I closed the air vent last night. (he's fine BTW)

Neal said:
Your current level of humidity and temperature are about what I have mine set at during the night time for my group of leopards. There should not be a problem, unless your tortoise can't heat up during the day.

What are your daytime high's?

My basking temp is 100° and my cool temp is 80°

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
My basking temp is 100° and my cool temp is 80°

Sounds good to me! As someone suggested, you might want to invest in a CHE...the peace of mind is worth the cost.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Neal said:
Sounds good to me! As someone suggested, you might want to invest in a CHE...the peace of mind is worth the cost.

Oh don't worry I'm going to invest in a CHE. but the heating pad kept him nice and toasty in his hide. (not hot but warm) should I just get a heat pad an put it under his hide instead? Would that be ok?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Heat pads are ok, but you'll want it connected to a thermostat so it doesn't get too hot.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Most of us use a CHE with a thermostat set at between 80-85*. I have mine over the humid hide for my leo babies. I also use a temp monitor to make sure the CHE is keeping accurate temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.