Anyone's Russian sleep like this?

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Franklin my Russian tortoise that I just got a week ago is so adorable when he sleeps! He sleeps all sprawled out with his head laid down in the coco like a pillow. He makes me keep the heat lamp and pad on all night to and that's where he sleeps, is it ok for me to leave the heat lamp on all night ? Should I just leave the heating pad on ? Both ? Or none? Thank you !

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Franklin my Russian tortoise that I just got a week ago is so adorable when he sleeps! He sleeps all sprawled out with his head laid down in the coco like a pillow. He makes me keep the heat lamp and pad on all night to and that's where he sleeps, is it ok for me to leave the heat lamp on all night ? Should I just leave the heating pad on ? Both ? Or none? Thank you !
Sleeping sprawled is entirely normal.

Your tort needs a maximum of 65F (18C) at night. Have a Ceramic Heat Emitter on a thermostat at night to achieve this.

The basking lamp shouldn't be on at night - your tort needs darkness to sleep. Your tort doesn't need a heat mat at all.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Janelle Green and a very warm welcome to the forum! :)

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheets.;)

Any pics of your tort's enclosure?;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Janelle Green

Colorado
I was informed you are supposed to put a heat mat underneath the tank where the heat lamp goes ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The information you have been given is incorrect.

Please read the links above and here's a lighting summary that explains what your tort actually needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species - 65F/18C for a Russian) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from a hardware store will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

Janelle Green

Colorado
For lighting I have heat lamp and use a uv lighting , that is franklins indoor home which he's only in at nights and when temps are cold, I live in Colorado so we get cold and snowy winters. The other picture is his front yard play pen and I'm currently
Building a backyard outdoor enclosure for him. I saw on thread sand is not good? I added some to his front yard play pen ....?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
For lighting I have heat lamp and use a uv lighting , that is franklins indoor home which he's only in at nights and when temps are cold, I live in Colorado so we get cold and snowy winters. The other picture is his front yard play pen and I'm currently
Building a backyard outdoor enclosure for him. I saw on thread sand is not good? I added some to his front yard play pen ....?
Read the links. Your tortoise is not a desert species and needs humidity not sand. Sand sticks to food and impacts in the gut.

Your lamps are of concern. The UVB looks like it's the coil type, the basking lamp doesn't hang vertically. And both are too high to be effective. Please see my earlier post.

I wrote this about outdoor accommodation in a colder climate. It applies to Russians
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Janelle Green

Colorado
I am getting light hooks tomorrow to switch the lights closer and more vertical thank you for the info!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most of us bump up humidity by pouring some water into the substrate.
I keep Redfoot. They require more humidity than your Russian. However, One huge reason I don't like heat mats with a glass enclosure is that they make a small, very hot area on the glass. And If the tortoise digs down. He could get burned. And if any water seeps down into the substrate and comes into contact with that area of the glass, the glass will fracture. (Been there);)

Janelle Green

Colorado
I had no idea about the sand thought it would go great since their from Pakistan and Afghanistan I will remove sand and use coco wood chip mix in his front yard play pen

Janelle Green

Colorado
The heat pad does not seem to get hot but I will take off franklins going to be sad he loves it lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I am getting light hooks tomorrow to switch the lights closer and more vertical thank you for the info!
Don't feel overwhelmed.
Once you get things set up correctly, it will get very easy indeed.
The coiled type bulb needs a vertical housing. It mustn't point downward. Most of us advocate not using them at all because of the very real chance of vision damage.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I had no idea about the sand thought it would go great since their from Pakistan and Afghanistan I will remove sand and use coco wood chip mix in his front yard play pen
Garden soil would also work. garden soil with no fertilizer or additives.

Janelle Green

Colorado
The place I got him from was feeding him pellets I switched his diet to fresh greens his favorite is kale so far

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here are some more ideas of suitable greens :)

Look them up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database if you're not sure what they look like.
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles