Heating Advice

hermanns

I have a Zoo Med tortoise house enclosure for my hermanns, and I was wondering what I need to heat it.

I have a 25 watt UVB strip bulb, and A 150w Nocturnal Infared heat lamp. I also have a heating pad. It gets cold at night, since I live in the northern US, and it's in the seventies during the day. Should I turn all of my lights off during the day, and leave the heating pad on? Where should I put the heating pad?

Thanks.

Last edited:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You should not use the heating pad at all anywhere. They are dangerous. Tortoises are designed to absorb heat on their domed shells from above.

That infrared bulb is another piece of equipment you should not use. Pet stores like to sell stuff, and keep you coming back for more.

Without light, your tortoise will not eat or be active. He needs 14 hours of light every day, not just warmth.

I can't comment on that uv bulb, but I suspect it's not adequate. I hope someone else will jump in.

How low is your night time temperature? A drop to 60 is fine. If you need more heat, a ceramic heat emitter is the thing to use. Tortoises do well with a nighttime drop in temps.

Not what you wanted to hear, is it?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I would suggest 100 Watt power son MVB in a large dome. I would also suspended above the enclosure using a lampstand rather than laying directly on the wires, that will make it way too close. I also suggest taking the divider out and that will give you tortoise more room and let the light go throughout the enclosure. Instead put in a hide.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410880648.739168.jpg here is a picture of an enclosure I had. I connected to the zoo meds. I did raise the bulb on the left higher though. For just one of the houses one MVB would be enough.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

hermanns

My house gets lower than 60 at night usually 56 or 55, so I'll get that ceramic heat emitter. Terrariums seem to be waaay expensive. Especially bigger ones. I'll take out the divider, so it's a bit bigger. Although, what should I use for a basking area?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I would get a powersun as suggest above. This will give you Heat (basking) and uv during the day. Put it on a power strip timer, real cheap at home improvement stores, & have the che come on at night since your house gets in the 50's. Put a flat pc of slate or tile under the basking area & you will have a happy tort.

hermanns

Alright, Hows this lighting setup:

25 watt UVB bulb and 100w basking lamp during the day

Ceramic heat emitter during the night