EGGS have all flattened

Status
Not open for further replies.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Hi I have incubated 3 eggs that were pinkish in colour and very soft to touch they sunk in at the top when I placed them in the incubator and after 3 days they have gone really white and now just deflated like a balloon please can anyone advise why this would happen? It was her first clutch I have never dealt with eggs before and she did not dig a nest

image-2131406257.png

Attachments

• image-1839091801.png
    image-1839091801.png
    234.5 KB · Views: 55

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Farm
Since it was her first go around and she didnt dig a hole then they were probably infertile. It happens. Was the humidity up?

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I have seen eggs collapse a little and still hatch. Yours seem to have collapsed completely. Probably not fertile. I add water to vermiculite before I put eggs in it. And then every week I add a little water. Also I use perlite and vermiculite in a 50/50 ratio. Remember to mark the top of your eggs the way you found them. And keep that mark on the top of the egg. Don't roll them if they have sat for a while.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Based on the appearance of the eggs they were mostly too dry. The humidity in the incubator was much too low. Generally humidity level within the incubator should in the 60-80% range consistently with about 70% being ideal. Even when they aren't fertile, if the humidity level in the incubator is right, they won't dry out like that. Infertile eggs tend to keep their full body but most will begin to smell rotten after a time and even explode in the incubator.

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member
Yes since making the vermiculite damp the eggs seem to have risen?? Is this normal they are not so flat and I have ordered a humidity tester as I had no clue you needed this, this is my first lot of eggs so any information is grately received

At least I will know for the next lot lol

krb1093

5 Year Member
I'm incubating some right now and I've never did this before. Thanks to everyone's help on here they're doing great so far. I just use a flower pot mixed with dirt and moss, slightly moist, heat at 82-84 and 80% humidity. I have saran wrap covering the top to keep moisture in.

Status
Not open for further replies.