don't ask if you wont take the advice

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi guys, I have a 5x10 pad of concrete around my pool deck, which covers my entire back yard with no grass areas, but it's all fenced in. I can adopt a 26" sulcata into this setting, right?

(No joke, I had this happen….)
Only if they stick grass upside down on the plastron, then its ok.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
i think we need a new thread. things we have heard but please dont try this at home

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Tom is an intimidator. (NOT REALLY)... His advice is always great! I don't feel intimidated by any of the so called experts on here because they are here to help.. Tom and Yvonne both spend a lot of time on here educating and helping everyone out is the way I see it, I was blessed to get their help when I needed.

Now I will say, there are several others that want to be an expert, and they either post way to much or simply just getting overbearing to new comers at times. Just my thoughts

Last edited by a moderator:

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Tom is an intimidator. (NOT REALLY)... His advice is always great! I don't feel intimidated by any of the so experts on here because they are here to help.. Tom and Yvonne both spend a lot of time on here educating and helping everyone out is the way I see it, I was blessed to get their help when I needed.

Now I will say, there are several others that want to be an expert, and they either post way to much or simply just getting overbearing to new comers at times. Just my thoughts
i think I fall in the last part. but I do try to help newbies and If I don't know the answer I will have no problem tagging someone. i know I post a lot but I am on here a great deal. learning all I can. Since I am so new I have learned a lot. and I know the stress that newbies are feeling.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Tom is an intimidator. (NOT REALLY)... His advice is always great! I don't feel intimidated by any of the so experts on here because they are here to help.. Tom and Yvonne both spend a lot of time on here educating and helping everyone out is the way I see it, I was blessed to get their help when I needed.

All I do is repeat what Tom says to newbies. haha :) lol:rolleyes: Only kidding.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
so i have decided since I have a huge 20 gallon tank that I am going to get 6 different babies and keep them all together. There is plenty of room. I have those coil light things, and i will soak so they don't need water right. I feed them dog or cat food I read that some where. they like it dry and cold I hear

ok I hope everyone know that this was a joke :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
One thing I have thought before is don't assume a new member is a novice. I now someone who as kept torts for nearly 4 decades and never joined a tort forum. omg i'm off, there a wildlife programme on tv about tortoises. see ya.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
One thing I have thought before is don't assume a new member is a novice. I now someone who as kept torts for nearly 4 decades and never joined a tort forum. omg i'm off, there a wildlife programme on tv about tortoises. see ya.
true. and this just made me laugh . hope you enjoyed the show. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I know, huh? I was so embarrassed when Tim/Robin joined a couple years ago. I was just assuming every newbie was new to tortoises and Tim's first post talked about some of the more rare types tortoise that he was keeping. I said something about the newbie and these type tortoises. Was my face red? He's been breeding and raising the rarer tortoise for a very long time!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This thread is about advice and taking it. So i reckon any question is not off topic.
Can someone advise me what species of tort Lonesome George was. :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
This thread is about advice and taking it. So i reckon any question is not off topic.
Can someone advise me what species of tort Lonesome George was. :)
Lonesome George, a giant tortoise from the island of Pinta in the northern regions of the Galapagos Archipelago, was the last known survivor of the Pinta tortoise (Chelonoidis abingdoni).

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If someone asks me how I raise mine, I give advice, they either ffollow it, or they don't. If I see someone raising good looking tortoiises, I ask, I don't see the problem. I can cause problems though. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lonesome George, a giant tortoise from the island of Pinta in the northern regions of the Galapagos Archipelago, was the last known survivor of the Pinta tortoise (Chelonoidis abingdoni).

Actually he was from the southern region and the speculation is that he was tossed from a pirate ship being chased by the British Navy as they rounded that northern island and floated/swam to shore.

It makes for a good story, but DNA testing has now revealed more of the real story. Things are really a genetic mess on Vulcan Wolfe. Lots of mixing of locales there, including Lonesome George's type.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Actually he was from the southern region and the speculation is that he was tossed from a pirate ship being chased by the British Navy as they rounded that northern island and floated/swam to shore.

It makes for a good story, but DNA testing has now revealed more of the real story. Things are really a genetic mess on Vulcan Wolfe. Lots of mixing of locales there, including Lonesome George's type.
Yes, they are, and they won't be sorted anytime soon by the looks of it. Sad situation really, but I guess the question is do you preserve the genes in future generations in some way, even if cross-bred?
Just out of interest, I'm going to guess that the person you were referring to regarding raising Sullies was me?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Don't forget to buy sand! The very knowledgeable petsore employee told me it was the best!
This is an interesting one actually, one which is too quickly dismissed on this forum.
For chelonoidis-in general, some localities of carbonaria are exceptions-, erosa/homeana, impressa, emys, indotestudo etc. , they wouldn't come across what we consider sand in the wild. However, chilensis, elegans, pardalis, testudo genus, etc. would all come across 'sand' in the wild. This would probably be primarily silica, usually in quartz form. This is the kind of continental sand that you'd most likely find in the Russian Steppe, Sub-Saharan Africa, Patagonia, etc. This isn't necessarily baking hot and dry, it can be a mild climate and there can be plenty of grasses, but we would usually classify the small particles of rocks and minerals as sand, rather than rocky sediment. This 'sand' however is quite different to what we get for tortoises in captivity, which I suspect is mainly of carbonate origin, eroded from soft rocks. However, while this 'sand' is very different to the 'sand' found in habitats where most of these tortoises are from, I doubt that there would be much difference in the problems that people have experienced with impaction. Also, at least in theory, the Sonoran Desert sand would probably be very similar to some of the stuff found in the tortoises' habitat even for non-American species, but I don't know how often this is sold as your sand in the States???
The main problem here is a lack of clarity over what we define sand as, and the rocks which this sand came from.