don't ask if you wont take the advice

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
I have been reading and re-reading so many threads. why do people ask for advice if they are not willing to change or accept the advice. I for one listen to all the advice. You guys are so much more experienced. So people if you don't take the advice offered then I wish the best of luck to you and your tort or turtle. Sorry had to vent a bit.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
:oops: I know if i didn't listen Tuxy would have suffered more than he did. :(

Heather H

N.E. ohio
im actually starting to get defensive of you guys. Like when someone says, but my vet said that is wrong or I read somewhere else that you do it this way. But that is what he came with. I want to yell at the person and tell them to listen to you guys. but I bite my tongue. maybe I shouldn't anymore.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I certainly agree with this thread, but have to admit in the beginning it was difficult to accept everything i thought i knew was wrong. I had gotten bad info from the reptile store and a vet. It helped that most here are willing to explain why. Some are never going to accept they are wrong because doing it right is often a lot harder. Seperate enclosures for example.

Mommabear

Ventura Co. CA
I agree with op but I don't know if they mean to be so stubborn. It's difficult to change a way you have been taught. Especially if it is advice you received from someone you thought was a professional.

When my son was a baby pediatricians told you to always keep babies on their tummy. A couple years later it switched to their side and a bunch of companies made a mint on that pillow that propped the baby. Then switched to their back, and now I think it is tummy again. Everyone claims to be experts but it always changes. This is in just 25-30 yrs.

After re-reading advice most seem to come around once they understand it. Having to learn everything suddenly last October I was lucky I was directed here as the first place.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
im actually starting to get defensive of you guys. Like when someone says, but my vet said that is wrong or I read somewhere else that you do it this way. But that is what he came with. I want to yell at the person and tell them to listen to you guys. but I bite my tongue. maybe I shouldn't anymore.

The best you can do is stay calm and nice and give the correct info. Some will take it willingly right away, some will not. Eventually, if they stay around long enough, they will probably change their ways, they just might not admit they were wrong.
Have to remember, they have no idea at first if the advie here is right or wrong either. We just expect them to take our word for it. Once they stick around a little, look at more threads, see more pictures, they will figure out this forum as the right info and that there are different ways to accomplish the same thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One problem is that most of the tortoise world, vets, books, "experts", breeders, etc.. All still do it the old dry way. Or perhaps we should more accurately define it as the "overly dry, with low humidity in the 10-30% range, and a lack of hydration" way.

Then they come here and some guy or gal tells them to do the total opposite of everything they've ever been told about tortoises. Yes they were told the wrong stuff, but how do they know that at first? Believe me, I have been uphill battling this for years.

Just take a deep breath and explain it again and again and again... Remember that its for the good of the tortoise and almost everyone on both sides of the issue has the best of intentions.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The post I love the most ....... and I've made some myself are the ones you think are great ideas and money savers get shut down! Haha like my cheap turtle food idea dead minnows from bait shop shut down! I really love the ones about how sulcatas need to be dry and we shut them down with all our smooth healthy torts . I like the ones where Tom shuts them down then they cussed at him . It makes me laugh . The funny part is a week down the road mr right has changed everything he was doing . An never says thanks Tom . Haha

Turtlepete

South Florida
One problem is that most of the tortoise world, vets, books, "experts", breeders, etc.. All still do it the old dry way. Or perhaps we should more accurately define it as the "overly dry, with low humidity in the 10-30% range, and a lack of hydration" way.

Moisture and humidity aren't the only aspects they had wrong though. Shoot, even when I was just learning, 10 years ago books and vets recommended dog and cat food!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No problem thats what we do . We help eachother even if it's just to vent . These are one of my favorite threads. They don't happen often . I've been call racist by two different poeple out in the open forum at two different times . Tom has been called everything under the sun . Yvonne has made some people mad . This is what happens when you put a group of people together . No body is going to get along with everybody . I like this forum no matter how mean@Tom and @yvonne are . Haha

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Moisture and humidity aren't the only aspects they had wrong though. Shoot, even when I was just learning, 10 years ago books and vets recommended dog and cat food!

Admittedly, redfoots are of little interest to me but I thought that high quality cat food was still on the menu in appropriate amounts.

Think of husbandry as a pendulum, popular opinion seems to go from from extreme to the other. Over correction if you will. It was iceberg and dog/cat food (or hamburger), then nothing but grass & grazing and now we're back to a point that greens are okay again. And Mazuri is acceptable nowadays too.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Admittedly, redfoots are of little interest to me but I thought that high quality cat food was still on the menu in appropriate amounts.

Think of husbandry as a pendulum, popular opinion seems to go from from extreme to the other. Over correction if you will. It was iceberg and dog/cat food (or hamburger), then nothing but grass & grazing and now we're back to a point that greens are okay again. And Mazuri is acceptable nowadays too.

You got me there. You can give it in moderation to satisfy the meat protein needs of reds. But it used to be recommended as a full diet :(.

I agree. Mazuri used to be demonized as well.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I really don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. People try out different things and then do what works for them. That is why I always say...That's just what I do and what works for me. I always feed my Cherry Heads and my Box turtles high quality ground venison, dog food. It has always worked for me and I never had a problem. Of course I mix it with greens, veggies and fruit, but usually start out babies with just the dog food. I would never tell anyone to do this, but I've been doing it for years and years with great results....just what I do.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I really don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. People try out different things and then do what works for them. That is why I always say...That's just what I do and what works for me. I always feed my Cherry Heads and my Box turtles high quality ground venison, dog food. It has always worked for me and I never had a problem. Of course I mix it with greens, veggies and fruit, but usually start out babies with just the dog food. I would never tell anyone to do this, but I've been doing it for years and years with great results....just what I do.

Terryo, I might be misunderstanding you, but do you mean you start red foot hatchlings as well on ground dog food and venison? I can picture this for boxies easy. If you did this for red foots though, it would be interesting to say the least. I've seen your pics of Pio, your cherry, and he's in marvelous shape. Is that how you started him?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No, my Cherries only got protein once every two weeks and starting at age 6 months. Before that they got no protein. Every two weeks I will mix the ground venison with greens, veggies and fruit, chopped up in very small pieces and then add the ground venison. They loved it. Outside they found their own protein ...worms slugs etc, but still got the ground venison every two weeks. This is Solo eating the mixed meal with the venison.

29v09j8.jpg