Desert tortoise busy-should I dig him out

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
this is such good news. It's great that Ascott understood what was going on from looking at the picture. There's no doubt in my mind that the tortoise would have died if you hadn't intervened!

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Awesome for sure ...and I completely know that feeling of locating a live tortoise in the mound..Perhaps allow your cat to lurk about the tortoise enclosure to find a gopher or two and let the cat eat em(the gophers that is).....as long as you don't poison bait the gophers the cat will be aok and they will rid the area quickly....otherwise, you will want a plan to disturb their holes each and every day....the goal is to make the area as undesirable as possible to the gopher....good luck with your rebuild....it would be good if your tort constructed their own naturally dug burrow--does not seem to have the same desire to the gophers as our hand made set ups....just my observation is all.

Thank you for the previous and most current advise. In view of the ongoing gopher problems we adopted 2 kittens last August who are now cats. They are intended to roam the lower orchard freely and hopefully deter gopher population. They go out every morning for a few hours. They usually come in about 2PM. At this moment they are in the living room with us. Hmmmm. They are not on full-time gopher duty yet.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
this is such good news. It's great that Ascott understood what was going on from looking at the picture. There's no doubt in my mind that the tortoise would have died if you hadn't intervened!

Finding him so deep and with no available exit that could be seen, I must agree with you. Poor guy. Just waiting ever so patiently. Such a joy to see him !

Ariza

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Congrats on finding your tort and alive, what a relief! I am glad I don't have gopher problems in my backyard.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Some people say this works great. Some not so much ...
Planting gopher purge in the perimeters, corners might help. To keep them off your property.
You do not want it anywhere near where the tortoise, or any other animal might munch on it, as it is toxic.
My understanding is that it has a sap that gophers do not like the smell of, so they stay away. And if they gnaw on it, it is, again, toxic.
It is found in the herb section in the nursery if you want to give it a go. Just be very aware of the ickies of planting it in the right spots.
Also, quick reminder, be sure to soak your tortoise. If the gopher scared him, he may have voided his bladder in the burrow.
So happy you found and freed him! Right.On.Angela. Great call! : )

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thank you for the advise of "to be sure and soak him". Haven't done that, ever. When he arrived 2 years ago I was not getting the much needed good advise that this forum provides.

He is out, happy, dirty and hungry.
2qtha55.jpg

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
This is great news! Glad you dug him up. He definitely needed to be saved!
:)

Arnold_rules

5 Year Member
Gilbert, AZ
Thank you for the advise of "to be sure and soak him". Haven't done that, ever. When he arrived 2 years ago I was not getting the much needed good advise that this forum provides.

He is out, happy, dirty and hungry.
2qtha55.jpg
Give him as much food as he wants, his front legs look a little thin, so he might not have stored up enough for brumination. Nothing to worry about, just let him eat to pack on some pounds.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thanks for the info. Advise is much appreciated. Just printed a list of DT diet suggestions. Want those little legs to get nice and pudgy again.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Look up "Native Plants for Desert Tortoises" and a nice brochure from Arizona comes up on PDF.

Great that he is eating. But hydration, first and foremost, so do give him his warm soaks. To flush out the hibernation stuff, toxins and such.
If the white is toothpasty, you are good. If it comes out gritty, dehydrated. Just stuff to remember.
There is an icky condition called "post hibernation anorexia" which is a whole different topic to talk about on another thread.
Researchers say that hydration first over food for that condition, is best.
But your CDT seems to be no worse for the gopher took me hostage wear and tear! Yay!

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Look up "Native Plants for Desert Tortoises" and a nice brochure from Arizona comes up on PDF.

Great that he is eating. But hydration, first and foremost, so do give him his warm soaks. To flush out the hibernation stuff, toxins and such.
If the white is toothpasty, you are good. If it comes out gritty, dehydrated. Just stuff to remember.
There is an icky condition called "post hibernation anorexia" which is a whole different topic to talk about on another thread.
Researchers say that hydration first over food for that condition, is best.
But your CDT seems to be no worse for the gopher took me hostage wear and tear! Yay!

Thanks a bunch for more advise. I wasn't sure about soaking. Leaving shallow water out seems like it is too cold for him in the mornings when he is first coming out and is quite active. Bringing warmish water to him sounds good. Should I force him into soaking or just let him go in if he wants to?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I am a tough love kinda girl. I use a garden trug with high walls. Baby warm water. This is where the temperature gun/gauge comes in handy.
I think the best temp is 85-87 degrees. I place it half shade, half sun while I am in the garden, semi-supervising. And for an hour. Give or take.
My fear after hibernation stems from when I was young and a neighbor losing her desert tortoise to what I now think is that post hibernation anorexia.
The end of brumation is always a tense time for me even though I am sure I did things right, I still have anxiety. I remember my neighbor's scream. : (
If he voids early on, just change his water and back in he goes. I also add bird vitamins after the first week up/
I know that the experts say to use only when sick. But I figure a little extra boost ...

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thanks for specific's on your information. This is helpful.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks for the info. Advise is much appreciated. Just printed a list of DT diet suggestions. Want those little legs to get nice and pudgy again.

Usually here when they come out....I flood the guys with head after head of romaine lettuce (organic) and this appears to aid in getting them hydrated from the inside out...as well as it is a fav food of theirs and so they instantly become magicians....now you see it now you don't which usually equals a stuffed tortoise laid out in the sun for some time after the magic show....you will also see where they gorge the head down...that as their body takes in the new...they release the old and keep on stuffing in all that is offered....and this is very important to offer for the month or so after they wake up...as they will not readily take it in as the summer really sets in...and, he is a cutie for sure.... I am offer the heads of lettuce to each of the men folk here and then the rest of the day they will pop in and out of their hides (heat permitting) to munch on the weeds growing in their yards...

Here is a good site for some of the easy to grow weeds along with some natives that one would observe in their natural wild areas along with some of those that will do well in other places;

http://www.desertseedstore.com/category/Tortoise-Forage-Seed-Mixes-Edibles-76

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Usually here when they come out....I flood the guys with head after head of romaine lettuce (organic) and this appears to aid in getting them hydrated from the inside out...as well as it is a fav food of theirs and so they instantly become magicians....now you see it now you don't which usually equals a stuffed tortoise laid out in the sun for some time after the magic show....you will also see where they gorge the head down...that as their body takes in the new...they release the old and keep on stuffing in all that is offered....and this is very important to offer for the month or so after they wake up...as they will not readily take it in as the summer really sets in...and, he is a cutie for sure.... I am offer the heads of lettuce to each of the men folk here and then the rest of the day they will pop in and out of their hides (heat permitting) to munch on the weeds growing in their yards...

Here is a good site for some of the easy to grow weeds along with some natives that one would observe in their natural wild areas along with some of those that will do well in other places;

http://www.desertseedstore.com/category/Tortoise-Forage-Seed-Mixes-Edibles-76

Very helpful information. Thanks for the desertseedstore suggestion too. Most of my life has been trying to eradicate weeds, not grow them. Now I am looking forward to growing more weeds for a tortoise. At least growing weeds is easier than pulling them. Anything for a happy tortoise.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would try to create a burrow that prevents cave in's just so he doesn't get buried alive again. I built new burrows last year here in Arizona, and they are working out even better than I'd imagined. Here's the link to the pics and details of how I built them. You might want to try something similar. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosure-for-desert-tort.89446/

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I would try to create a burrow that prevents cave in's just so he doesn't get buried alive again. I built new burrows last year here in Arizona, and they are working out even better than I'd imagined. Here's the link to the pics and details of how I built them. You might want to try something similar. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-enclosure-for-desert-tort.89446/[/QUOT

"Herbie" the DT will certainly have a new burrow.
Thanks for pictures and explanations of your burrow. Great set up. Clearly you have no hesitation about taking on a heavy project.