My Desert Tortoise has not come out of Brumation.

Tortmomnv

Hi everyone, I'm in need of some advice. I have a 15 (best guess) year old desert tortoise and above ground burrow that was built according to directions via a now defunct tortoise organization in Las Vegas. (They showed a build using a plastic sheet with plywood over that, cinder blocks on top, another layer of plywood and cinder blocks on top of that, dirt in burrow and covering the top.) He burrated in late October, came out in December then went back inside and not not emerged yet... I'm very nervous and feel I should take the burrow apart to check on him. I was advised by a friend with several tortoises to wait a little longer due to our very strange winter and spring, but am scared now. Any other advice anyone?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know your weather, but here in Central Cal. I can't allow mine to hibernate/brumate in an outside burrow because it is too wet during the winter. All mine are either boxed up or placed inside dry outdoor sheds.

If it were me, I'd dig that tortoise up.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
I agree with Yvonne. Get that CDT, give a good warm soak and get him or her back into the awake world. Almost May, tomorrow. Seems awfully late.