Cost of a tortoise permit?

Loubielou

We are about to get our tortoise microchipped and registered (we have a certificate from the breeder). Can anyone tell me how much this will cost please? The permit not the microchipping.

Many thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe it depends on where you register the chip number. There many different places to do so. I would imagine it depends on the brand of chip your get used. They could answer your question better then anyone else

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming you're in the UK? We really don't do that so much here in the States, and I would imagine it would vary among the different vets doing it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
UK members? How much does a tortoise permit cost?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I had Joe chipped just in case he wandered, but it was several years ago. It wasn't that expensive from what I remember.

I can't help with the cost of paperwork. I have no idea and don't know anyone who has tried to do it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry I can't help either as not had Lola microchipped yet and because he was found I have no documents either.
None of the vets I have seen with him have mentioned paperwork or registering so I haven't really looked into it.
I would use a good herp vet though for chipping as they will know best spot to put it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You only need full paperwork if you plan to breed or sell your tort in the UK @Lyn W

You have the evidence of how you came by Lola. That's enough.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
you have to register to breed? hope this bs law will change after Breixt
btw you can buy those bluetooth tracking chips that people use to track key chains or phones. around $25 in US

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
you have to register to breed? hope this bs law will change after Breixt
btw you can buy those bluetooth tracking chips that people use to track key chains or phones. around $25 in US
Bluetooth tracking chips won't do the job. This is a pet microchip that has a unique number to identify the animal that is embedded under the skin.

As the requirements for tortoise breeding and sale are to do with CITES, I cannot see anything changing with Brexit. We always had tough laws to do with animal import even before we joined the EU (I am that old) thanks to rabies control. CITES compliance just added another layer.