Not open for further replies.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Is there any way?
Or other ways of permanent ID and proof of ownership.
My I Star has a permanent tiny 25 on his back. I have yet to ask breeder about that.
The ongoing discussion of the missing Russian got me thinking.

All but my chickens are microchipped - dogs, cats, and horses. All registered and scanable.

Ann from CT

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have microchipped hundreds, literally, of baby diamondback (about 3 inches long) terrapins for long term monitoring after release. There is more 'danger' in the chip falling out right after being implanted than to the animal itself. But overnight in a box will allow you to see if that happens.

It is a good and safe way to mark the animal. However, there is not tracking should the turtle get lost/escape. The tortoise would have to be taken to a vet with a reader, who would then look at whatever registry that chip's manufacture may have to confirm ownership. As it is not a routine practice that many people even take their tortoises to vets, then that a vet would both scan, and then look in a registry would tend to indicate odds are very low it would be a good way to recover a tortoise.

However if you found it, and wanted proof it was yours, well then there is almost no replacement.

A tattoo on the skin, just under the carapace marginals works too. It does not have to be complicated, just a dot pattern, then with your photo, you have solid evidence it is your turtle/tortoise.

Expense is sorta high in either case, more so than a sturdy well designed enclosure.

If your animal is stolen, then well, forget the honor system that any marking would effect a return.

Put you efforts to better housing, unless you are legally compelled to PIT tag.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.