Flying

courtsberri

Location (City and/or State)
Thetford
Hi, I'm currently living in England and in a few months will be moving to cyrups for about 3 years. I have a 5 year old hermann tortoise and would love to bring him with us but I have no clue where to start. Looking for recommendations or ideally step by step instructions on how to take him to cyprus and will I have trouble brining him back to the England in a few years?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Maybe @Tolis can help you with that (at least with importing to Cyprus).

This link has some information on importing animals to UK:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/importing-non-native-animals (at least it has some contact information so you can give them a call and hopefully get a valid answer).

Since you are planning to return in three years it would be easier for you to find a keeper or a friend who will foster him until your return. Also, such travels will be very stressful for the tortoise.

Last edited:

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
Hermanns are cites II meaning you need cites papers for each tort and a vet certificate submitted to the authorities in order to get the license before traveling. I assume you dont have cites paperwork for the tort which means it is impossible to fly it legally.

Alternatively you can leave it to someone in the UK and buy a locally bred testudo in Cyprus for 20-50 euros depending on the size. Another cites II tort for which you will not receive any paperwork from the petshop so wont be able to take back to the UK.