COLD DARK ROOM

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Yes, I was based in Riyadh, too. Did you like it ?
Most younger people speak at least a bit, middle aged and older ones, rarely. They were a bit late starting to teach it in schools, but now children must do at least two or three years studying English But the majority speak at least moderate French, or Spanish in the far north.
A small percentage, especially women and people from the countryside only speak Darija (Moroccan Arabic) and a very small number only one of the Amazigh (Berber) languages.
Yes, I liked it. It was in the 80s. We lived on a compound that had tennis courts and a swimming pool. On the compound, we could wear western clothing. The women got together when the men were working and had all kinds of activities. They had buses nearly every day to take us to different places in Riyadh, sometimes a museum, grocery store, souk, etc. It was a lot of fun. Then I got a job at a hospital, one of the few places women were allowed to work. Since I wasn't allowed to drive, I had a chauffeur. They paid us once in month in cash.

On weekends, we went out to eat at local restaurants. If you were in a restaurant at prayer time, all the lights went off, and the waiters disappeared, except in the Chinese restaurants, where they would sneak your food out to you anyway.

When I first got to Riyadh, there were two lines, one for families and one for singles. Since I was by myself, I got in the singles line, and caused quite an uproar! (In Arabia, family means women.)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, I liked it. It was in the 80s. We lived on a compound that had tennis courts and a swimming pool. On the compound, we could wear western clothing. The women got together when the men were working and had all kinds of activities. They had buses nearly every day to take us to different places in Riyadh, sometimes a museum, grocery store, souk, etc. It was a lot of fun. Then I got a job at a hospital, one of the few places women were allowed to work. Since I wasn't allowed to drive, I had a chauffeur. They paid us once in month in cash.

On weekends, we went out to eat at local restaurants. If you were in a restaurant at prayer time, all the lights went off, and the waiters disappeared, except in the Chinese restaurants, where they would sneak your food out to you anyway.

When I first got to Riyadh, there were two lines, one for families and one for singles. Since I was by myself, I got in the singles line, and caused quite an uproar! (In Arabia, family means women.)
Yes, I was there in the 80's, too !
As a man i had a bit more freedom, though the religious police would bother me occasionally. Generally, i also enjoyed it and had the same experiences in restaurants.
The hardest part for me was that i enjoy the company of women and that's pretty difficult in Saudia, to become friends with or really get to know the local women.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Yes, I was there in the 80's, too !
As a man i had a bit more freedom, though the religious police would bother me occasionally. Generally, i also enjoyed it and had the same experiences in restaurants.
The hardest part for me was that i enjoy the company of women and that's pretty difficult in Saudia, to become friends with or really get to know the local women.
We met a few locals that were married, and we were invited to dinner parties at their houses. One of our friends was very progressive and let the women and men stay together in the same room. He wanted to start a Mexican restaurant, so when we were home on R&R, we went to Mexico and bought him decorations. His restaurant was terrible! They didn't have any of the right ingredients.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
We met a few locals that were married, and we were invited to dinner parties at their houses. One of our friends was very progressive and let the women and men stay together in the same room. He wanted to start a Mexican restaurant, so when we were home on R&R, we went to Mexico and bought him decorations. His restaurant was terrible! They didn't have any of the right ingredients.
Ha de ha!
Yes, I had a couple of progressive friends where we mixed with the women, one of them, after i became his 'brother' even left me alone with his wife and daughter on occasion.
What i found funny and don't know if you had the experience, but sometimes, on flights out of the country, people would queue to use the toilets : go in wearing traditional dress and come out in western clothes. On return flights it would be the reverse !

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Ha de ha!
Yes, I had a couple of progressive friends where we mixed with the women, one of them, after i became his 'brother' even left me alone with his wife and daughter on occasion.
What i found funny and don't know if you had the experience, but sometimes, on flights out of the country, people would queue to use the toilets : go in wearing traditional dress and come out in western clothes. On return flights it would be the reverse !
Yes, I experienced that! When I flew into Riyadh, the first time, I wore my caftan so I would be appropriately dressed. I was surprised that all the other women on the plane were in western clothing. Then right before landing, they all went to the restroom and donned their abayas. I didn't notice if the men did something similar.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yes, I experienced that! When I flew into Riyadh, the first time, I wore my caftan so I would be appropriately dressed. I was surprised that all the other women on the plane were in western clothing. Then right before landing, they all went to the restroom and donned their abayas. I didn't notice if the men did something similar.
Some of them did! So funny. :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The shelf's okay, but I love Fido. :<3:
Don't forget if you want Fido to appear in "Esio Trot" , photo on a plain white or wooden background eating a lettuce leaf or with a small piece of lettuce just in front or just behind him.
When he wakes up.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Good afternoon, Bea ! :)
Enjoying a lazy Sunday ?
Yes! :)
I had been looking for a good recipe for peppermint cookies, and finally found one I really like!!! :)
Hubby is going to take them to his physical therapy appointment tomorrow morning to get them out of the house, or else we'll eat them all!!!:D