COLD DARK ROOM

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
inspiration. we are all chasing 'that dream' ... only way it WILL happen is to swallow that bitterness
and negativity they call 'pride'

it's taken a while, and still more sacrifices to be made, but it WILL happen for me, i have 4 options available soon...

stay where i am and move up the ranks, potential of £15 an hour plus bonus, not factoring in expenses! as well as the option of being able to train... our reputation and standards are a joke.

jump ship, full time job with benefits, potential to earn more and progress up... limitless!!! i have done my homework and can literally save the company millions! (honestly)1however, a drop in wage and position to start.

talk of setting up our old team in a new location 10mins from my house!! it's really tempting but would have to be on my terms as i would especially be self employed.

go solo, potential to earn average, £500 a day! however, i could also earn £0 a day.

hmmmm

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
it keeps me awake at night (0013) and i'm getting a job dropped at 0800... but these are good problems to have :)

any and all, advice, experience, wisdom and thoughts are greatly appreciate
Personally John, if you can afford the short term drop in income I would go for the job with proper salary, benefits, contract, working hours and employment rights ... like sick pay and holiday pay... and national insurance payments towards your state pension.

There's nothing stopping you taking on self-employed work out of employed hours. Many people do this. As long as it doesn't impact the contracted job and you're not taking custom from them then it's fine. In fact, you'll have a day off a week to do it in! So you may not even take much of an income hit.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Personally John, if you can afford the short term drop in income I would go for the job with proper salary, benefits, contract, working hours and employment rights ... like sick pay and holiday pay... and national insurance payments towards your state pension.

There's nothing stopping you taking on self-employed work out of employed hours. Many people do this. As long as it doesn't impact the contracted job and you're not taking custom from them then it's fine. In fact, you'll have a day off a week to do it in! So you may not even take much of an income hit.

mum does know best :).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
good mornooning hoola hoops! (troops)

up and ready, first job late but on route. this is the first job for my brothers friends... they all have top end cars so this will be needing my stamp on it ;)
Please, please don't stamp on it. It will do your business no good at all! :D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Postcards from Folkestone.

21C / 68 F. No wind. English Channel like a millpond. Good view of the coast of France 20 miles across the sea.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495383229.698929.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495383285.672319.jpg
The Leas Cliff Lift. Sadly just been closed permanently as the cost of restoration and repair is too high
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495383403.580210.jpg
The tide was out!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495383436.419992.jpg
Most of the beaches on this part of the coast are pebbles, but this one has sand
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495383499.346906.jpg
Map to show where Folkestone is
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1495383705.331362.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

I agree with Linda John, there's a lot to be said for job security; plus there's the income tax issue and all the paperwork you have to keep track of for that even self assessment tales ages to wade through. If you're advertising HRC will catch up with you sooner or later!:(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/morning all.
A lovely day here in Wales and I saw the sunrise today!
I had a phone call at 4 a.m. from a careline service.
My nephew managed to get something stuck in his throat when he ate yesterday evening.
Not obstructing breathing but unable to even swallow his own saliva and I think it scared him on his own in the night.
So he used his emergency pull chord that he has in his sheltered housing.
So off I popped to his flat, tried to suggest different things and rang NHS direct.
They said he needed A and E so that's where we were from just after 5 a.m.
Still not seen anyone but triage by 09.00 but then a wonderful nurse came to see us and suggested we try something very unconventional - Classic Coca Cola!
I was a little sceptical but after 4 hours in A&E and the prospect of 4 more I was willing to try anything.
I would even have put my own hand down his throat to grab the offending article myself!
Anyway I managed to track a can down in the restaurant and hey presto within a few sips whatever it was moved and he swallowed it!:D
It was incredible ! The nurse didn't know how it works but apparently it's an old trick for dislodging objects in the throat.
My guess is it's something to do with the caffeine and the fizzy sharpness of the Coke. Whatever reason it saved us a morning in A&E.
So tip of the day- keep a can of original Coca Cola (Diet/Max etc don't work) in your first aid kit.
(Obviously if breathing is affected and it's life threatening then Coke won't be any use and an ambulance will be needed!)

Last edited: