COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Is anyone else having trouble with delays in posting and doubles again?
Yes, it's been bad all day :(
Good afternoon/morning all.
A lovely day here in Wales and I saw the sunrise today!
I had a phone call at 4 a.m. from a careline service.
My nephew managed to get something stuck in his throat when he ate yesterday evening.
Not obstructing breathing but unable to even swallow his own saliva and I think it scared him on his own in the night.
So he used his emergency pull chord that he has in his sheltered housing.
So off I popped to his flat, tried to suggest different things and rang NHS direct.
They said he needed A and E so that's where we were from just after 5 a.m.
Still not seen anyone but triage by 09.00 but then a wonderful nurse came to see us and suggested we try something very unconventional - Classic Coca Cola!
I was a little sceptical but after 4 hours in A&E and the prospect of 4 more I was willing to try anything.
I would even have put my own hand down his throat to grab the offending article myself!
Anyway I managed to track a can down in the restaurant and hey presto within a few sips whatever it was moved and he swallowed it!:D
It was incredible ! The nurse didn't know how it works but apparently it's an old trick for dislodging objects in the throat.
My guess is it's something to do with the caffeine and the fizzy sharpness of the Coke. Whatever reason it saved us a morning in A&E.
So tip of the day- keep a can of original Coca Cola (Diet/Max etc don't work) in your first aid kit.
(Obviously if breathing is affected and it's life threatening then Coke won't be any use and an ambulance will be needed!)
So glad you got that sorted. Shame about it happening in the first place though :(

Bee62

Germany
How or where ( have I been ) ?
I was sick. That was in April. Got a very bad infected wound on my right leg. But that was not enough.... Because I cooled the hot leg with ice I got a bigger wound....
For nearly 4 weeks the wound on my leg needed to heal.
But now I am well again.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How or where ( have I been ) ?
I was sick. That was in April. Got a very bad infected wound on my right leg. But that was not enough.... Because I cooled the hot leg with ice I got a bigger wound....
For nearly 4 weeks the wound on my leg needed to heal.
But now I am well again.
That sounds awful :( The answer to my question is "not very well" I think :(

I am glad you are feeling better now.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes, it's been bad all day :(

So glad you got that sorted. Shame about it happening in the first place though :(
Yes it was a shame and he panics a bit too. Hopefully won't happen again but we'll know what to try first if it does.
This was his second SOS call since Thursday evening when he had a nasty fall while out and about.
He rang me and I found him sat on side of road with a bleeding nose elbows and knees , scratched glasses and a cut about his eye.
He is a big lad and I don't think he put his hands out to stop himself. It really shook him up but I took him home armed with dressings etc and cleaned him up and stayed with him to make sure he was OK.
He has been in the wars and kept me busy this week!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good morning everyone!

But I am a little bit disappointed ..... that no one here missed me.:(
We definitely missed you Sabine.

The CDR has been somewhat quiet of late and you weren't the only absent friend. I think everyone seems to have hit a busy period for one reason or another.

My busy stuff today involves clearing the spare room so we can fill it up for daughter's move to Southampton. She's going on June 1 and starts her new job on June 5.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Today is hubby's birthday, so we started the celebration yesterday by going into New Orleans with some friends to brunch and a live jazz show at BB's Stage Door Canteen, which is a small part of the D-Day Museum. We've been to several shows there. The performers are always high quality professionals and we always enjoy it.

IMG_6730.JPG

The highway driving into New Orleans is not the most picturesque part!!!

IMG_6710.JPG

The D-Day Museum in New Orleans is enormous-several buildings. It's pretty amazing.

IMG_6711.JPG

BB's Stage Door Canteen is a smallish venue, which is part of why we like it. There are photos and memorabilia on the walls. The smiling lady in this picture is my friend Anita.

IMG_6717.JPG

...and this is her hubby, Hillary. He's a recently retired medical theoretical statistician who used to teach at the medical school. He's quite droll. He says statistics is for people who find accounting too exciting. :)
IMG_6713.JPG

One of the fun things about the Stage Door Canteen is that after the show, the performers always line up in the exit area so that you can take pictures, speak to them, shake hands and get your picture taken with them if you like. These performers were AMAZING!!!!!!!! We had a wonderful time!!!!
IMG_6719.JPG

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
Today is hubby's birthday, so we started the celebration yesterday by going into New Orleans with some friends to brunch and a live jazz show at BB's Stage Door Canteen, which is a small part of the D-Day Museum. We've been to several shows there. The performers are always high quality professionals and we always enjoy it.

View attachment 208248

The highway driving into New Orleans is not the most picturesque part!!!

View attachment 208249

The D-Day Museum in New Orleans is enormous-several buildings. It's pretty amazing.

View attachment 208250

BB's Stage Door Canteen is a smallish venue, which is part of why we like it. There are photos and memorabilia on the walls. The smiling lady in this picture is my friend Anita.

View attachment 208251

...and this is her hubby, Hillary. He's a recently retired medical theoretical statistician who used to teach at the medical school. He's quite droll. He says statistics is for people who find accounting too exciting. :)
View attachment 208252

One of the fun things about the Stage Door Canteen is that after the show, the performers always line up in the exit area so that you can take pictures, speak to them, shake hands and get your picture taken with them if you like. These performers were AMAZING!!!!!!!! We had a wonderful time!!!!
View attachment 208253

happy birthday mr B !