Coco coir mold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishelby

5 Year Member
I was just wondering how often those using coco coir substrate change it? I had thought I had read that it doesn't mold but it did. It's about 3-4 weeks.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
I'm not sure in the tortoise Inclosure, mine stays pretty dry because Willie only sleeps in it at night until his outside house is installed. I used the same stuff in our hermit crab tank which is kept extremely moist and the mold usually comes hen food is left laying around. Not sure if tat helps. Good luck!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
where did you buy your coir from? we had the same problem but switched brands and havnt had a problem, also it helps to stir it up once every week or so. Is your enclosure have a open top or closed?

chrishelby

5 Year Member
Here's the Tank set up, the only thing missing is the two light bulbs under the tank. It's 80% humidity. We got it from pet depot, can't remember the brand.
e1abce72.jpg

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
chrishelby said:
Here's the Tank set up, the only thing missing is the two light bulbs under the tank. It's 80% humidity. We got it from pet depot, can't remember the brand.
e1abce72.jpg

Sometimes i find mold in mine too...but it is not the coco coir itself...if I put a strawberry, or other food in there and ninja tracks it around...i find a spot where it sat and molded....you have to be careful especially if you feed in the same setup where they sleep...

chrishelby

5 Year Member
I'll keep an eye out for that but I don't think it's that. It was starting all over, looked like a very fine spider web growing on the top of the substrate in spots all through the tank. I guess I will have to just watch for it, today I just used the shop vac and sucked up an inch off the whole top layer. I'll watch close to see if it comes right back or takes a while to return?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I got my coir from Petco. Both the brick kind and the loose kind. I have had the same stuff for about 4-5 months and have not had any mold. I think it may be the kind you are using. Switch it out for the pet store kind when you can and see if that works for you. BTW my temps are not lower then 80 and humidity is 67-96, I have two enclosures connected with a tunnel, that's why I have to diff. Humidity %.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I used a mixture of 90% coconut bark and 10% coco coir! I boil the hell out of it before use! I repeat this about every other week! Of course, I've been fortunate with these warm winter days that everybody gets to go out for the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.