Substrate replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I have had Chomper on coco coir for several weeks, and was just wondering how often you should change the substrate.

I did notice several small white bugs in the substrate under his water dish today when I cleaned out the dish. I'm not sure if this is normal or if I need to change it. Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use my coir for a year without changing it. If you spot clean, it usually will last a real long time. However, depending on the bugs. Some are normal. If they are more like a maggot, then I would change it. Also, if you bake your coir in the oven for a while before you use it, or boil it, you won't get the bugs.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the ideas for preventing them. They aren't maggots. I would have changed it as soon as I saw them if it were maggots. Nasty little things. And I spot clean every day. I get out his old food and his waste.

knighterson

5 Year Member
Are they maybe springtails? I get those pretty frequently, they love moisture. I wouldn't even know what they were except that I had them in my kitchen a few years ago and could not seem to get rid of them, my exterminator at the time told me they were springtails, I assume he was correct, but not positive actually. Really small (smaller than ants), light grayish-white color, always under stuff. I hope they don't hurt anything, even if I change substrate they somehow come back.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
That might be what they are. I rooted around in his whole enclosure and they only seemed to be hanging out under the water dish

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
If you do change it out, i would suggest putting the bag in the freezer to kill off the bugs. Boiling and baking are too messy for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.