Mold in coco coir

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I have a new Russian tortoise hatchling with coco coir as his substrate. He loves to burrow in it, but this morning I found mold in several places!
I’ve kept it pretty damp, but never had an issue with mold with my previous tortoise and his coco coir substrate…
I know it’s not food rotting or anything like that because I’ve only had him for 2 days and I’ve kept the substrate clean.

I’m obviously dumping out all of the coco coir and starting over. I have Repti bark I can use- do they still like to burrow in that? Can I keep it damp? 😕

I could also try a different brand of coco coir, but am I supposed to let it dry out? I was keeping it damp to help with humidity…

Attachments

• IMG_3947.jpeg
    IMG_3947.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3949.jpeg
    IMG_3949.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Never heard of coir molding. Infact, it's one substrate that is not suppose to mold. Was this sold for reptiles in the brick or loose in bag form?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You could try baking it at 200/250 for like 3 hours to kill whatever is making it mold and let cool then reuse it. Or just replace.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Not specifically marketed for reptiles, so I guess that’s where I went wrong 🙈
It was this brand from Amazon.

I see a “ReptiEarth” brand…maybe I’ll order that as a replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_3951.jpeg
    IMG_3951.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The coir itself won't mold or support fungal growth. There has to be something organic on it or in it for that to grow like that. Probably best to chuck it and start over, or soak it in a bucket to leach out the organic material, and then let it mostly dry out before putting it back in the enclosure.

Coir should be kept damp and hand packed. Its too dusty, messy and hard to walk on otherwise.

Fine grade orchid bark (Repti-bark) works too, and yes they can burrow in it, and yes it should also be kept damp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't have thought that would mold either, but that's probably why it did, what Tom said, something else in it as the coir itself doesn't.