Classroom help!

Krischris

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi, could you please help us to identify what type of tortoise "she" is?
Her name is Oz and was donated to the school classroom. We would like to take good care of her. We will be able to start research when we know what we are looking for.
Thank you so much.
Any advice will be appreciated!

(I have Russian tortoise for 4 year-is is similar? This website was really helpful when we were new owners-thank you so much!)

IMG_5963.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a very poorly cared for redfooted tortoise (Geochelone carbonaria). This is what it is supposed to look like:

Geochelone_carbonaria3_web.JPG

Go to the Tortoise Library and read up on how to care for your new classroom pet. She could use your intervention.

Krischris

5 Year Member
Utah
Hello.
Did you read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/ ?
It looks like the tortoise has been kept too dry.
You need to ensure he's kept in warm, moist, humid conditions and that he is soaked a couple of times a week.

Thank you so much. That was my first respond when I saw her. It's next door classroom and since I have tortoise myself (it's my son's but I still have to supervise) I told them I will do the research....

Krischris

5 Year Member
Utah
Looks like a very poorly cared for redfooted tortoise (Geochelone carbonaria). This is what it is supposed to look like:

Geochelone_carbonaria3_web.JPG

Go to the Tortoise Library and read up on how to care for your new classroom pet. She could use your intervention.
Thank you so much. Poor baby. I will do my best!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Class room is a bad place for a tortoise, specially a RF that I doubt is being given a big enough enclosure. Try to talk them out of keeping it in a class room. Small rodents make better class room pets. Better yet, no pets. Instead have someone visit to educate the kids on animal/pet ownership.

Kugelette

Our local animal shelter allows classrooms to foster small animals (bunnies, guinea pigs, rodents, etc) until they find homes. Great win-win situation. I'm inclined to agree that most classrooms are short on space for torts.