Redfoot for the classroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Now that you've explained a bit more I understand.

Look into a Greek, Hermann, Russian and the 3 toe box turtle. See if one of those 4 sounds like something you can do. They'd all be easier than a Redfoot IMO.

If you start with the Hatchling size of any of these I'd still recommend you start with a 40gal 36x18 size tank. Easy to come by, easy to fit in a classroom and better for the shelled baby.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I'm to a teacher and own both a red foot and have recently acquired a Russian. Having looked after both I would say if you had a good outside enclosure go for the Russian as like all my fellow forum members have said they are more suited to roam and graze. If your only restricted to 20 minute that's not enough for any tortoise. A red foot is ok for indoor but they still need to be out in the hot months. Also, red foots don't hibernate so the children would see it all the time ....

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Are you planning on getting a new hatchling for your class room every year? I'm not criticizing just curious, I love the idea of getting a new tortoise every year haha.
Do you know if the school sprays the recess yard with pesticides or chemicals to help the grass grow? If you don't know if they do I would be careful as that can hurt your torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.