Classroom Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgamylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hey y'all. I posted about wanting a tortoise for my classsroom in the redfoot forum, as that seemed to be the most suggested tort. Some of the redfooters seem to strongly disagree with this idea, so I'm opening it up for other suggestions!

Here's the background: My husband and I have two sulcata hatchlings that traveled back and forth to school with me last year. They are getting ready to turn one and growing quickly, so they will officially become our own home pets this school year. That being said, I'm now known as the tortoise teacher! They enriched our classroom so much last year - I'd like to find a tort that will stay a manageable size for classroom life long term (occasionally stay in the room overnight, but come home on weekends, holidays, and most nights).

I currently have a 24" x 18" terrarium dedicated to my classroom (which our visiting sullys stayed in). Our sully hatchlings are in a 36" x 18" terrarium they will soon outgrow, so that terrarium will be moved to my classroom for my new tort. I know these terrariums are NOT big enough to house a tort in long-term, but I'm hoping they'll be sufficient to get us through the first year. Next year, we can build an enclosure that will be suitable long-term. That being said, the enclosure will live in my small classroom (where the tort will spend about 8 hours per weekday and occasionally spend the night if necessary), so I'd like to identify a tort that doesn't need, like, a 20' x 20' enclosure 24/7. :)

In the redfoot thread, people had suggested perhaps lizards, frogs, etc... but my school does not allow for, basically, any kind of animal that can escape its enclosure and run amok through the school.

Thanks so much!
Amy

Rocky-the-tort

5 Year Member
I think you should get a hermans as they don't take up too much room and are easy and cheaper than other torts:D

sent from meeee!

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I'm not sure if it wouldn't be too stressful for a tortoise to be moved back and forth daily, as they do not like changes in their territory very much. But that's just my opinion.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I suggest you look into the Hermann, Greek, Russian and 3 toe box turtle. See which of those you like best and which you think suits you most.

I think you should start with a Hatchling. They are so small to start that your small enclosures (since they are temporary) would be ok.

Did I miss your location??
Check with breeders here on TFO. Box turtle babies may be one of the easier to acquire.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Timjb97

5 Year Member
I would suggest a herrmans tortoise because my old school has one and it is a reasonable size - I went for work experience - and it stays there over night and comes home on a weekend and holidays, but I don't see the need to bring him/her home every night because all they do is sleep and their lights are of all night so it can't catch fire. You could put the lights on a automatic timer to come on and come off when they need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.