Can torts catch diseases from humans? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
I am a vey cautious mother to my four month old sulcata. Nobody is allowed handle him if they are sick or stuffed up. When they are healthy enough they are allowed to handle or give him a little snack but they must sanitize their hands. Especially with the flu going around I have been very protective. Can he catch any sickness from me? ( flu, a cold, etc.) I am tired of my friends complaining because they have to always wash their hands first. Am I being smart or way to over protective? Please help!! I don't want him getting sick!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
I'm rather sure there are no diseases that can be transmitted from humans to reptiles...Never had one get sick from me, and I've never heard of it. The extra effort is very smart indeed, however, and the sanitization of hands is definitely a good idea. While diseases can't be transmitted, germs on the hands can.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
I'm rather sure there are no diseases that can be transmitted from humans to reptiles...Never had one get sick from me, and I've never heard of it. The extra effort is very smart indeed, however, and the sanitization of hands is definitely a good idea. While diseases can't be transmitted, germs on the hands can.

Thank you!

wellington said:
I would have to agree with RedfootsRule

Okay thanks !

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Nothing wrong with good hygienic practice. Especially with reptiles. However, some syraons of enflienza have been pathogenically traced to tortoises. Specifically an island species of Galapagos and have caused deaths to that certain species. In a study done on darwin station station and the genealogist and pathologist that stidy all aspects of the Galapagos eco evironment that exists there. Dont k.ow what strain it was. But i would always practice a high level of hygiene anyways.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Nothing wrong with good hygienic practice. Especially with reptiles. However, some syraons of enflienza have been pathogenically traced to tortoises. Specifically an island species of Galapagos and have caused deaths to that certain species. In a study done on darwin station station and the genealogist and pathologist that stidy all aspects of the Galapagos eco evironment that exists there. Dont k.ow what strain it was. But i would always practice a high level of hygiene anyways.

Thanks! I Always wash my hands before and after, I don't want tongue or receive anything from him:) lol

Amber_123 said:
tortadise said:

Thanks! I Always wash my hands before and after, I don't want tongue or receive anything from him:) lol
To give*

Status
Not open for further replies.