Calling all Sulcata keepers in the Northwest!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
All,
Hoping to get some help here! I've been getting an huge increase in calls to take in Sulcatas that have no place for the winter. At this time I'm looking to place a 30 pound and 65 pound. Does ANYONE have space and facilities to deal with Sullys this size over the winter? I have options for the Spring but winter is proving difficult!

Please PM me if you are interested and please note you'll be vetted like any other potential adopter (see my website for the form under Adoptions) and I will not place them just to put them somewhere.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!

Terese Meyer

Terese Meyer
www.Northwesttortoise.com
visit me on FaceBook at Northwest Tortoise

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Greetings Teresa,
I'm hoping for more help to you than what I was able to offer.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Seriously?!! Just got contacted about another! Makes 3 this week! Is there something in the water?

Terese Meyer
www.Northwesttortoise.com
visit me on FaceBook at Northwest Tortoise

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Seriously?!! Just got contacted about another! Makes 3 this week! Is there something in the water?

No, it's because weather is turning colder and folks can't or won't go to the expense and trouble of winterizing their homes or have room for them inside.

M

Maggie Cummings

The experts who say there's not too many Sulcata....jeez, they're like feral cats, only bigger and not as smart....

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just who is this “they" of which you refer?
I was referring to many, but not all of the responses on the thread and titled something like, "sulcatas are aggressive…" Reading that thread a while back I was a little surprised that in some areas of the country there seems to be no problem finding homes for them but in others, namely around my neck of the woods, there seems to be a definie problem. Maybe it's just the northern states I don't know. I find it very sad and frustrating, so I apologize if I offended anybody with my sarcastic statement.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I find it odd, with all these breeders incubating for female, seems to me the bulk of “needs a new home" sulcata are male. Puzzling for this country bumpkin

M

Maggie Cummings

My sister has been involved in turtle and tortoise rescue for over 35 years, and I have Bob now because at the time she didn't have anymore room for another Sulcata and asked if I'd keep him for a couple of weeks. (that was 12 years ago)...I know too many legit rescues and they all talk about too many Sulcata and RES...it's an old argument now....

Males are certainly more aggressive....

M

Maggie Cummings

No apologizing needed on this end. I've always said, “if you don't have something nice to say, come sit by me and we'll make fun of people together!"

Take a hint....don't ever sit by him unless you're wearing a Depends.....:)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Take a hint....don't ever sit by him unless you're wearing a Depends.....:)
I laugh at his statements all the time, in a good way :) I am usually a smart a ## but when I am frustrated by something it gets really bad. I love animals but sometimes people just took me off.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ditto what Maggie says. Yes, I've found the males to be more aggressive then the females. I've a large yard and it's a community set up. Two males and one female and two undecided. It's peaceful enough that my pride and joy, Little Ricky, all 7"'s of him has now moved out there. That said, I've got a male and female living by themselves, alone because they don't play well with others. Those two were raised in a two tort set up, and I say, “once a bully, always a bully!" Keep in mind the big kids with Little Ricky are 50-65 lbs.