Breeding Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
So, does coastal burmuda, rocks, leaves, dirt, and branches sound like a.suitable substrate?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
They are savana graze animals. Some rocks are ok. For like a hiding spot. Don't really need the branches or leaves. Just make sure and give them a spot to get out of the sun if they want to. But other than that sounds like they will like it.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
The rocks are more like 2 to 3 inches long. Ill clear the branches and theyjave a hill if they want to climb. There is plenty of basking space. Do you think a dog house would be a suitable house for them. I have drilled a hole in the top for the heat lamp. Do you think i should put dirt or leave it plain in the dog house for them to lay on.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You could stuff it with hay just make sure if it rains to change the hay if they eat it all. It can get moldy if it gets super wet and stays stagnant for a while. Dirt works well too.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
I dont know. Should a tortoise enclosure by very well groomed. My enclosure is kind of "messy" like rocks here and dirt there patches of grass. I have seen some other tortoise enclosures, they are so neat and clean. Should i take out all of the concrete rocks i placed back there many years ago, or will it not make a differance. I neatly groomed where their house and water dish is. I need advise:(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would clear any debris in the pen. Try and keep it just grass and water dish and a hiding spot. Some rocks or something like a branch for them to crawl on but I'd just keep it grass.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Ok. What age did you move your sulcata or other torts into a outside pen. :tort:

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
You should mix the greens that you are feeding them with orchard grass or Timothy Hay. Wet the hay so it sticks to the greens.They will be picky at first but they will get eventually used to eating grasses. Grasses/weeds should be 70% of their diet. It is very important. I feed my male and female the following: Endive, dandelion greens, green and red leaf, escarole, occasional romaine, occasional collard (for extra calcium) and I mix it with Timothy Hay and or Alfalfa. Optunia pear and cactus pads for treats. Never feed your African tortoise fruit, iceberg. Looks like you got 2 females. Thats a good thing. Getting a male is easy, it's the females that are hard to come by and can be expensive. Good Luck!!:)

Oh and I forgot to mention, I had a 15in female sulcata that laid 13 eggs and (they were BIG eggs) back in February. It was her first clutch and she didn't dig a nest and she broke them all except 3:( So when your female is ready to lay, be aware of her behavior and make sure to have a proper nesting place for her.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Thanks for visiting my form and replying. I am going out to get some alf alfa hay tomarrow. Thanks for the advise. Thats so sad about the eggs. Dont you hate when something unexpected happens(like the time i forgot to give my dog water on a super hot day, came home and she was lieing dead in my yard.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.