Breeding Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Hi guys im Alec. My two sulcata tortoises are 12 & 13 inches and i dont know when they will mate. They are both two years old but i dont know the sex of them but i think its one boy and one girl. So i just want to know if the requirements for them to mate. Like how big they have to be or how old. Please respond.:shy:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Alec:

If you have a male and a female, then when they are ready to breed, they will. Two years of age is quite young. They usually don't reach breeding age until they are over 5 years. But it goes by size more than age. You measure a tortoise in a straight line (not over the curve of the shell) from front to back.

If you post pictures of the under side of your tortoises we can tell you if you have a male and a female.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Ok i will try to take some pics btw thanks

K here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20120313_091219.jpg
    IMG_20120313_091219.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20120313_091217.jpg
    IMG_20120313_091217.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 37

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
If you dont like these photos just tell me what parts to take photos of.:D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Those are appearing to be both females by the photos to me. Still a bit hard to tell at that age and size too. They are rather small to breed. My female didn't produce till she was around 16" which put her around 5-6 years old. They will breed when theyre ready. Just be patient they will be gargantuan before you know it.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
IMG_20120313_091219.jpg Here are the other pics. Sorry if there a little shakey
IMG_20120313_102658.jpg
IMG_20120313_102603.jpg I also couldnt get the pics of their tails. Im sorry :(

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Still looking like females to me. Just give it some more time. This summer will give them great growth in an outdoor pen and lots of grass to graze on and they will be ready to breed before you know it. Not a bad thing to have 2 females a male is much easier to find there are a lot that need to be adopted through out the country. Good luck they look good.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Thanks. And by the way, is it true that they will double their size in the first 2 months that they stay outside?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Not quite double, they should grow at a steady pace. 2-4"of growth a year would be about average if kept outside and fed good diet. You don't want them growing too fast. Can lead to very unhealthy endings.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
And if you have more time can you answer a few of my other questions?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Let me correct something, that's the rate they should grow at the ones your size. When they are hatchlings they can grow about double in a year, so some of that is partially true. I don't like speeding up growth process because of the issues it can posses. My female seemed to only grow a few inches when she hit 14" every year or more. But she would hit a growth spurt every other year and around 16" and would gain width and weight followed by length growth. She's 10 years old and 21" I'm length and 106 pounds now. 2 years ago she was 19" and 93 pounds. Hope I helped you.

Of course I can! Ask away. I will try and help as best as my experience and knowledge has led me thus far.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Ok thanks guys. How do you get your tortoise out of eating lettace. My torts loves lettace so much!!! When i go outside to feed them they rush out of their home. But when they find edible weeds and grasses they go back inside. I dont want to starve them what do i do?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Iceberg is the bad lettuce so stay away from feeding them that. Any dark leafy green. Collars, mustard, turnip greens. Sulcata love bell peppers too and squash. They should go straight to eating the dark leafy greens right away. Also want to give them some natural space. In respects to treating them like a baby. I try not to hand feed my tortoises because they can come accustomed to it and forget to fend for themselves and graze when they eat all the greens and veggies offered. What sort of weeds are you offering? If there outside they should naturally graze and eat the grass their on. Do you know the species of grass you have them enclosed with?

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Well, outside of their enclosure( where im going to let them graze for four hours a day) the grass is regular,dark green. Inside the enclosure the grass is light green and grows in medium sized patches. Its also pretty long and stringy

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sounds like rye grass. Could you upload a picture of it. Most grasses are good for them. I would keep them outside all the time especially if the weather permits good temperatures. If its still cold at night or varies a huge degree from what you keep them at inside then that's round about the time they need to come in at. When outside temps meet indoor enclosure temps.

Bermuda,buffalo and st.augistine is good grass. You can get a seed mixture at feed stores and just toss it out in the pen and let spring rain and sun take it off. Don't fertilize though. That's hazardous if your torts eat it.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
IMG_20120313_131913.jpg
IMG_20120313_131907.jpg

Ok here is what it looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh yeah perfect for them. I'm no grass expert but looks like coastal burmuda which is perfect. They should eat it up.

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Does coastal burmuda have little wheat-like ends

Never mind it was just a little weed that i saw.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.