Need some help and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
I have 3.4 northern redfoot tortoises and it appears that they are not breeding. All of the females are 12+ in and one of the males is a nine incher, not quite at the peek of breeding. The other to males are also 12+ inch and they dont appear to be especially interested in breeding.

This is very much frustrating me because the "alpha" male will only mate with one female whereas the other two males dont mate at all. Everyone in my herd are healthy and very active, they just wont mate....

I have tried sprinklers but to no avial. They have a large enclosure that is well planted with appropiate humidity via a sprinkler system.

Please let me know what you think because I really need some advice on how to get them to breed. Im lookin for tips and advice from all of you very successful redfoot breeders out there.

Thanks much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi John:

Have you tried a short separation? Put all the males together in one pen for a week or so, then put them all back in with the girls. If that doesn't work, then put all the males in a different pen except for the alpha male. See if having no competition gets him interested.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I would try what Yvonne said, although I never have to separate any of my males and females to prompt them to breed. How long have you had them? I have learned over the years that you may have to wait a year or two for the tortoises to acclimate to one another. I bought a big male over a year ago, he's just now starting to breed with the females. I also have a male that appears to be a wild caught individual that I got at a reptile expo this past February. I figured that he would be way to shy to breed at least for a couple of years. I was wrong about that, I caught him mating with a female that March. It's just a waiting game, when all of the stars align, and you give them ample time, you will hear them clucking away! Don't get discouraged.

-Matt

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I am going to try the separation idea today, fingers crossed it works!

Matt, the whole group has been together now for 3 and a half months.

Thanks for the help.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
I'd give it at least a year before you see much interest in breeding. A good year seems to be normal acclimation size, at least with my red-foots.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.