Big Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Just would like to say a big thanks to everyone who has helped me on this site! It's really helped my tort, Milly, a lot and she's doing reeeally well now. Thanks to some great advice I now know which substrate to use, the right temps, and how to maintain the right humidity.

She's doing great and eating really well now and is a lot more active since I'm now keeping better husbandry, So thanks everyone!

Humidy: 50-70%
Temps: cool end - 27oC, hot end - 30oC, basking spot 35-40oC, night time: 24oC
Substrate: on the bottom: 50/50 mix of soil and play sand, on the top: damp coco coir.
Hay in hide box
UVB + heat lamp, 40watt heater at cool end

Milly, 15 months, enjoying her dinner.

View attachment 31789

View attachment 31790

Last edited by a moderator:

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Very cute! My only suggestion is to be careful with those pebbles as she gets just a little bit bigger. We had a member on the forum who's sulcata had to take a very scary trip to the vet and I think eventually needed surgery to remove some pebbles that he decided looked good to eat.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I might take them out when she gets bigger then! She hasnt tried to eat them yet, I just put them there to fill in the gaps where the tiles wont fit so she doesn't get substrate on her food :) I'll keep an eye on it though, thanks :p

I don't really want to make another thread so I'll just ask on here... my tortoise has only put on about five grams since I got her in august, so thats 4 months ago, should I be concerned and get her into the vets? Or are some tortoises really slow growers? And she hasnt put any weight on in the last month... but she's eating, drinking, and going to the toliet normally. She usually goes every couple of days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Five grams in four months is not normal. Something is amiss.

Here are some potential problems I see. These all might not be the problem, but they all could have something to do with it.

1. Sand. It can cause impactions. I see that it is under another layer, but I can guarantee that some of it is working its way up. It will stick the the food and be ingested little by little over time. Sometimes the sand will stay in their gut and collect while other food still manages to slip by, for a while. Eventually enough sand builds up to cause enough of a blockage to be a problem.
I would ditch the sand either way, just to be safe.

2. Hay in your hide box. Dry hay on damp substrate = mold. Some types of mold are very toxic if eaten. Hay is fine in a dry area. I use it here in dry Southern CA as bedding in my night box. I don't use it anywhere that is even remotely moist.

3. What type of UV are you using? The coil type bulbs can sometimes be a problem.

4. Diet. That looks like romaine in the pic. What else do you feed? Fiber? Succulents? Calcium supplementation frequency? Any weeds or leaves?

I would not have commented on any of this, but since you asked, I thought I would throw out some possibilities. Your leopard looks good, and for the most part your set up sounds good to me.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Tom said:
Five grams in four months is not normal. Something is amiss.

Here are some potential problems I see. These all might not be the problem, but they all could have something to do with it.

1. Sand. It can cause impactions. I see that it is under another layer, but I can guarantee that some of it is working its way up. It will stick the the food and be ingested little by little over time. Sometimes the sand will stay in their gut and collect while other food still manages to slip by, for a while. Eventually enough sand builds up to cause enough of a blockage to be a problem.
I would ditch the sand either way, just to be safe.

2. Hay in your hide box. Dry hay on damp substrate = mold. Some types of mold are very toxic if eaten. Hay is fine in a dry area. I use it here in dry Southern CA as bedding in my night box. I don't use it anywhere that is even remotely moist.

3. What type of UV are you using? The coil type bulbs can sometimes be a problem.

4. Diet. That looks like romaine in the pic. What else do you feed? Fiber? Succulents? Calcium supplementation frequency? Any weeds or leaves?

I would not have commented on any of this, but since you asked, I thought I would throw out some possibilities. Your leopard looks good, and for the most part your set up sounds good to me.

I didnt think it was normal. Oh no :( the sand hasnt always been on the bottom, it is usually on the top, im trying coco coir for the first time which is why its on the bottom so it could very well have cause a build up.

The area where the hay is is quite dry and I havent noticed any mould as yet.

I'm using ExoTerra 160watt for UV lighting and heat, its not a coil bulb as far as im aware...

As far as diet goes... she eats red and green baby leaf, dandelions, baby coral lettuce, endive, curly kale, and she has a weed box which she occasionally eats from. Calcium supplement with D3 twice a week.

If I take her to the vets do you think she'll need an x-ray? Any suggestions other than sand on what I should change?

Oh, and she has just started to eat Begonia.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well that makes sand impaction all the more likely. An xray might give you some peace of mind. At least you would then know for sure one way or the other if that was your issue.

The mold on the hay can be quite subtle. Personally I would not risk it in a damp enclosure with 50-70% humidity, but that is your choice. This is not very likely to be your problem anyway.

Your bulb is fine.

Your diet sounds pretty good. I looked up begonia and The Tortoise Table (a UK site) recommends it not be fed to tortoises due to the high oxalate content of the tubers. Again likely not your problem if she just started eating it, but something to be aware of.

If you are dealing with impaction I would start soaking daily, try to add some grass or blended hay to the diet for added fiber, add some aloe to the diet and put some drops of mineral oil on the food each day for a while. These things will all help to pass anything in the intestine. If your tortoise is not suffering from sand impaction, these things will hurt nothing.

How often are you giving calcium? Do you feed any commercial foods that have a little protein in them? I think they have "Komodo" over there. We use Mazuri over here. Sometimes that will give their growth a little jumpstart.

Lastly, are you sure your scale is functioning correctly? Have you weighed something of known weight to verify?

Good luck.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Tom said:
Well that makes sand impaction all the more likely. An xray might give you some peace of mind. At least you would then know for sure one way or the other if that was your issue.

The mold on the hay can be quite subtle. Personally I would not risk it in a damp enclosure with 50-70% humidity, but that is your choice. This is not very likely to be your problem anyway.

Your bulb is fine.

Your diet sounds pretty good. I looked up begonia and The Tortoise Table (a UK site) recommends it not be fed to tortoises due to the high oxalate content of the tubers. Again likely not your problem if she just started eating it, but something to be aware of.

If you are dealing with impaction I would start soaking daily, try to add some grass or blended hay to the diet for added fiber, add some aloe to the diet and put some drops of mineral oil on the food each day for a while. These things will all help to pass anything in the intestine. If your tortoise is not suffering from sand impaction, these things will hurt nothing.

How often are you giving calcium? Do you feed any commercial foods that have a little protein in them? I think they have "Komodo" over there. We use Mazuri over here. Sometimes that will give their growth a little jumpstart.

Lastly, are you sure your scale is functioning correctly? Have you weighed something of known weight to verify?

Good luck.

I'm going to get her in an exotics vet next week and see what they say, I'll ask for an x-ray to see if theres an impaction, hopefully there wont be but if it isn't then Im not sure why she isnt putting on weight, she eats loads! Ive thought it might be worms before...? But no signs of them.

I'll keep an eye on her hay nevertheless.

She gets calcium with D3 every two/three days - she doesnt like it though - I used to give it her every other day. And I found out about Begonia on the same site as soon as I wrote this post so it'll just be used occasionally as a treat. I'll have a look for Komodo. She doesn't like commercial food so no, she doesnt have that.

Ive just weighed something on both of my analogue and digital scales and both say the same weight. When I first got her (4th aug 12) I weighed her on the analogue scales and she weighed 524 grams, and now on the digital scales she weighs 530 grams...

Also, she gets a 30min soak in warm water every other day. She used to get soaked every day. I've just remembered that when I first got her, I gave her some calcium that wasn't specifically for animals, it was just limestone flour, now I used proper calcium for animals. I hope this isn't the cause.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I will echo Tom's concerns and directions and throw out a couple of other suggestions.

- I am not sure if you are doing this or not, but when you weigh your tortoise make sure that you are weighing at the same time every time you weigh. I think it's best to weigh them first thing in the morning before they eat and drink. That way you get a better idea of what their base weight is. Like humans, their weight will fluctuate after eating and drinking and of course, they won't always eat or drink the same amount each day. So if you weigh before all that, you will have a more consistent weight. Do this every day and see if you notice any changes.

- I would recommend adding some higher protein foods. Mazuri is a good option, although I don't think it is available in your area. There are some good substitutes so I would recommend asking around. Some people, including myself, will include low fat dog food every now and then for some added protein.

Overall I'd say your husbandry is good. These finer points will make things great for you and your tortoise!

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Yep (now, after your advice) I weigh her before eating, drinking, and soaking. I weighed her after eating today just out of curiosity and she was 15 grams heavier. So, if I was weighing her after food a couple of months ago, theres a chance she has put on 20 grams in four months.

But she has definately not put any weight on this month, not a gram, as Ive been weighing consistantly this month. :(
By month, I mean 4 weeks, from 6th oct - 6th nov.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I would say so, yes. My tortoise is very picky and even he likes it. If they don't, it isn't too hard to get them interested either.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I would definitely get a fecal check done. It could just be that your torts has something that should be treated. Your vet will surely recommend this, so bring a fresh stool sample when you see the vet.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
DesertGrandma said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I would definitely get a fecal check done. It could just be that your torts has something that should be treated. Your vet will surely recommend this, so bring a fresh stool sample when you see the vet.

I will phone them up this week and request one, I've thought about that myself. And also get her checked out while I'm there. She only goes while soaking though, would it still be okay?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
LeopardTortLover said:
DesertGrandma said:

I will phone them up this week and request one, I've thought about that myself. And also get her checked out while I'm there. She only goes while soaking though, would it still be okay?

Probably better if it were more dry. But if that is all you can get just try to watch and scoop it up right away. Sometimes they will poop in the box when you are transporting them to the vet. I think it from getting a little stressed riding in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.