Need opinions before making a vets appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
I'm thinking about getting Milly into the vets this week, but before I do, I want to know what should/shouldn't be done for her. I know that vets can sometimes presribe everything under the sun just to make money so I have a couple of questions.

Milly whistles when she breathes. She's been doing it for 2/3 months now. At first I thought my substrate was dusty, so I changed it, but she is still doing it. There have been no other signs of RI such as bubbles from the nose. Although I do hear a gurgling sound sometimes when she eats? How should this be treated? ive heard some torts are allergic to baytril, how will I know?

Also, she'll be going for a beak trim, is this usually done right there and then?

she hasnt put much weight on this month, if any. I think this is due to her moving to a new enclosure, could she be stressed? And should I mention this to the vet?

Please help :( really need your expert opinions as you all keep torts, thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be that there is a speck of food stuck in her nose that's causing the whistling. ???

Don't allow a vitamin shot.

Some leopard tortoises ARE allergic to Baytril, and you don't know if yours is until it has an adverse reaction to the injection. If your tortoise is eating and acting normal, then I would have to assume it doesn't need an antibiotic injection. If there is mucous from the nose, then the vet can do a smear and see what is growing in the mucous, then he'll know which antibiotic to use. But if its just whistling, and dry, I wouldn't even get antibiotics.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What temps are you running in the enclosure? What is your humidity in the enclosure? What size is your tort? How long have you had the tort? I would not worry about going to the vet due to a dry whistle sound....and a little wet sound while the tort is eating is not unusual either.....you can also get a piece of slate from the store and begin to feed your tort on that which will allow your tort to file down the beak as he strikes for bites of food....:D

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Bit of good news regarding this thread. Today she's been outside in the fresh air and sun (which we dont get a lot of) and I havent heard a single whistle. And also, I dont know how, her beak has filed itself right down again!! I always have fed her on the rough side of a bathroom tile - similar to slate i guess. But I dont know why i got so long and then has filed down within days.

But just to answer your Qs anyway:

27oC cool end
30oC warm end
38-41oC basking spot
25oC night time (I know the reccomended is 27 when using humidity, but my tort prefers a cooler night time - it makes her more active in the day)
humidity is 85%-50%
Size: just over 5 inches
Had her: 8 months

:) do let me know if im doing anything wrong. She seems pretty healthy otherwise, just concerned at the lack of weight gain this month really - it really is minimal. Hopefully the sun will do her good.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Yvonne G said:

Last time I went to a vet for a suspected RI, the vet who I had seen before (And liked quite a bit) was no longer there and had been replaced.
He said he wanted to give a Vitamin injection (for $40). I said, no, I didn't think it was needed and preferred it not be given. He REALLY got bent out of shape.
When I was paying my bill on the way out he LITERALLY snuck up behind me and jabbed the syringe into my pet as I was distracted.. "Don't worry, no charge" he said. IDIOT!!
Do NOT go to see Doctor Pitts at Studio City Animal Hospital

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Need opinions before making a vets appointment

Shelly said:
Yvonne G said:

Last time I went to a vet for a suspected RI, the vet who I had seen before (And liked quite a bit) was no longer there and had been replaced.
He said he wanted to give a Vitamin injection (for $40). I said, no, I didn't think it was needed and preferred it not be given. He REALLY got bent out of shape.
When I was paying my bill on the way out he LITERALLY snuck up behind me and jabbed the syringe into my pet as I was distracted.. "Don't worry, no charge" he said. IDIOT!!

I would have been livid if this happened to me!!!

The same thing happened to a pregnant friend of mine who rejected the flu shot. ridiculous.

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Shelly said:
Yvonne G said:

I think you should get some info on what he gave, that you had declined and report him to the veterinarian licensing board. A employee there may even back you up. Just because they work for them, doesn't always mean they like them or approve of their practicing methods. I would have also reamed him a new one, that he just may have gone off crying and quit his field.
I went around and around once with my dogs vet at the time. She quickly realized, I owned the dog and it will go my way or no way. After that, we never had a problem. Glad your tort didn't get affected by the injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.