Scales shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Milly's scales seem to be disappearing around her 'armpits', on her legs, and under her chin. I have some pictures but they're not very clear as she wouldnt keep still tonight. If you need it I can give you a video link which is clearer.

Im just wondering... is it normal for torts to shed their scales? She has a warm bath for 30 mins every day to keep her hydration up. Could this be the cause of her losing her scales?

The picture of her face, its the yellow spot where the scales are missing. And her legs you should be able to see its the lighter skin where they've gone.

cool end 27/28oC
Warm end - not sure
night time - 24oC
substrate: 50/50 mix of play sand and soil.
water bowl in inclosure at all times.
uvb lamp and ceramic heater.

View attachment 30942

View attachment 30943

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I can't seem to find what you are talking about in your pictures. Can you post the link?

I will see skin peeling from time to time in my leopards, and it is normal. Your parameters sound perfect for a leopard that size, except you should know what the warm end temperatures are. :p

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I'm just waiting for the video to convert on Vimeo (silly website). But as soon as it's done I'll send you the link. I know she's peeled near her eye before and that was fine, it just seems a lot of peeling has happened on her legs... maybe she's having a growth spurt? I dont know...

I have a rough estimate of what they are - 30oC hot end and 35-40 on basking spot. Im just waiting to get another thermometer.

Thanks for replying, I'll post the link soon. Your info is awesome btw :D

Still not very clear.... https://vimeo.com/51938535

I just mean the lighter patches of skin on her legs...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
LeopardTortLover said:
Your info is awesome btw :D

Thank you very much. I often get the vibe here that my input is not appreciated so your statement means a lot to me.

I am still not seeing much on the video, or anything that would cause me to be alarmed. Perhaps someone with a more experienced eye could share an opinion. If not, a visit to an experienced vet might be worth the money if all you get from it is peace of mind.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Neal said:
Thank you very much. I often get the vibe here that my input is not appreciated so your statement means a lot to me.

Na, I think you're appreciated. I've learned a lot from people like you and Tom among others and applied them to my tortoise.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I'm sure your input is appreciated :)

I was just wondering... could this be a sign of mites? I saw her bite her arm the other day, and she rubs her face on her arms quite a lot. I cant see anything though... do you think it'd be wise to see a vet anyway?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
LeopardTortLover said:
I was just wondering... could this be a sign of mites? I saw her bite her arm the other day, and she rubs her face on her arms quite a lot. I cant see anything though... do you think it'd be wise to see a vet anyway?

Before the vet, I would recommend hinting Yvonne (emysemys) to this thread. Based on what I know of her, she has seen a lot of tortoises with health issues through her rescue efforts, and maybe she might have more of an idea of what is going on.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes, PM her. She is a moderator so her name (emysemys) will be in dark blue.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't really see what you're talking about either, however, I THINK I see the back leg that worries you. What I'm seeing on the back leg is just wear from rubbing on the shell. That might be what's happening on the chin too. Just being rubbed on the shell, causing the skin to become smooth instead of scaley.

I think that if there were a mite problem, you would see mites.

Status
Not open for further replies.