Are tortoises affected by loud tv

Whinnie0809

Location (City and/or State)
Lakewood
Hi guys! This is something I've wondered too. My downstairs neighbors are the worst. I know they hear vibrations and this is why I worry. These guys blast music eveyday (some breaks) 12- 12 on weekends till 4 am. And it stenches like weed. My parents know their uncles so we know who they are. And we know they're trouble. This has started since quarantine and as a music major I can never record anything for classes unless it's super early. The worse part is that they have their speakers right under my tortise enclosure. I've moved it and my lease ends in may. Verry soon yaay, but no matter where I put her enclosure vibrations are still felt. (That's how bad it is) she is in a hudge tub so I cant cover her, her lights are right on top of it. She seems fine, happy hungry but EEEhh. Idk what to do if she feels uncontherble and what I can do if she is shaken up one day. With help I can put her enclosure on bed during the day if needed but I dont know if that's nessesary.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Perhaps look into buying some sound dampening mats to go under the enclosure. I know my tort can hear me just walk by because he'll crawl out of his den to stare at me for food.

Being forced to live around bad neighbors is the worst. Any chance that they just don't realize how loud they are? Especially if they're always smoking, they might just be oblivious that they're bothering people (you can tell that I probably have too much faith in humanity).

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Hi guys! This is something I've wondered too. My downstairs neighbors are the worst. I know they hear vibrations and this is why I worry. These guys blast music eveyday (some breaks) 12- 12 on weekends till 4 am. And it stenches like weed. My parents know their uncles so we know who they are. And we know they're trouble. This has started since quarantine and as a music major I can never record anything for classes unless it's super early. The worse part is that they have their speakers right under my tortise enclosure. I've moved it and my lease ends in may. Verry soon yaay, but no matter where I put her enclosure vibrations are still felt. (That's how bad it is) she is in a hudge tub so I cant cover her, her lights are right on top of it. She seems fine, happy hungry but EEEhh. Idk what to do if she feels uncontherble and what I can do if she is shaken up one day. With help I can put her enclosure on bed during the day if needed but I dont know if that's nessesary.
something similar to my situation but not that worse. my upstairs neighbors Kids RUN & JUMP you could literally hear the Windows shake and the Walls. but it doesn’t bother my tortoise.

Whinnie0809

Lakewood
Perhaps look into buying some sound dampening mats to go under the enclosure. I know my tort can hear me just walk by because he'll crawl out of his den to stare at me for food.

Being forced to live around bad neighbors is the worst. Any chance that they just don't realize how loud they are? Especially if they're always smoking, they might just be oblivious that they're bothering people (you can tell that I probably have too much faith in humanity).
Yeah I might just set some under the enclosure again she seems fine but I worry. Yeah my little girl knows her name and pops her head out. Or starts smelling things when she hears me to indicate shes hungry ?.Haha I've also thought that but I'm afraid to ask because I've witnessed some pretty bad fights outside their door and because we technically know their family its just a weird weird position to be in Haha ?.

Whinnie0809

Lakewood
something similar to my situation but not that worse. my upstairs neighbors Kids RUN & JUMP you could literally hear the Windows shake and the Walls. but it doesn’t bother my tortoise.
Yeah that also a problem on my end unfortunately because my room is on top of their kids room they kick and band on things a lot Sammi my tortise is in my parents room now theres less vibrations and no kids. Best I can do for now I'm just glad she doessnt seem to mind. But will order a mat for her though prime to be sure and safe. I'm happy to be moving back into a home. This place has brought us nothing but negativity we've never seen before.

Ryuken15

Jakarta,Indonesia
What about loud musics like very loud until you can feel the vibrations, usually the music is 85 decibels average. Can the tortoise go deaf?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Personally, I do not think that torts and reptiles, in general, can hear.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
They can, at different ranges than mammals.

Sea turtles that go deaf from barotrauma have a difficult time surviving in the wild.