Are tortoises affected by loud tv

tortellini123

Hi I'm a new tortoise owner but I've not got lots of room. MY tortoise is next to the tv and sometimes housemates play music\ tv programmes quite loudly. Will my tortoise be affected or scared by these noises or am I okay?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Should be fine. They don't hear the way we do. Observe your tortoise and look for any signs of stress, like panic pacing, hiding all the time or loss of appetite.

Do you trust your housemates enough to leave your tortoise out in a common area? Beware. This ends badly sometimes.

tortellini123

Great thanks alot tom one more question though if it's scratching he sides of the table (so I can hear it) does that mean it's stressed or wants to get out. It is only 6 hours old ;-)

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Great thanks alot tom one more question though if it's scratching he sides of the table (so I can hear it) does that mean it's stressed or wants to get out. It is only 6 hours old ;-)
What is the size of the enclosure and the temperature? What species?

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
it'd say it would be fine as long as he's not like RIGHT ON the speaker, i'm deaf so my tv is always loud and i havent had problems

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Could be either or both.

Your tortoise needs a MUCH larger enclosure than that. They need room to move. 244x122 cm is the minimum I recommend for and adult russian. If you can't go that big try to make a large outdoor enclosure for fair weather, and go as big as you can inside. 70x37 cm is much too small.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Tortoises have good hearing...At least mine do anyways & have read it several times before...not sure if it bothers them too much. Like Tom said, just look for signs of stress. Then make adjustments, you don't want to stress your tortoise out!

Is there anyway you can put some towels, blankets, or padding of some kind between the tortoises enclosure & by the TV/speaker to help decrease the sound a bit?! Not sure if it will help. I'm assuming the tortoise is getting A LOT of vibration/sounds from the TV & that sounds like it would be pretty stressful considering the tortoise is small!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We learnt that crawling animals do NOT hear. But later on I read on the net that they do. I was doing some research after I'd planned to get a tortoise. I read: "Tortoises do hear. However they don't react to sounds like other animals do." There seems to be conflicting information about their sense of hearing. I personally assume that they do hear so as not to annoy or disturb my beloved tort.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They hear. My boxies recognize my voice.

My goldfish don't hear as we think of it, but they sense vibrations and respond positively to slow blues on electric guitar (live).

Turtlepete

South Florida
I play loud music around tortoises all day. Never bothered them, but this is because they are accustomed to it. I've found that excessive noise stresses newly acquired, already stressed animals. Best to keep it quiet around them, but as long as they are used to the noise, it doesn't bother them. Often they associate the noise with feeding time, and it's a good stimuli to get them ready to eat.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I play loud music around tortoises all day. Never bothered them, but this is because they are accustomed to it. I've found that excessive noise stresses newly acquired, already stressed animals. Best to keep it quiet around them, but as long as they are used to the noise, it doesn't bother them. Often they associate the noise with feeding time, and it's a good stimuli to get them ready to eat.

i agree with this because first thing i do when i wake up is turn on the coffee pot and some music when the coffee is done and i'd had a couple drinks off my first cup i'll feed the tort and he's always right there waiting

this isn't a every day same time thing either my waking habit varies so i've always assumed the tort hears the music and know's its almost time to eat

LyzzaRyzz

Rhode Island
I wonder what the barking of dogs does?
I've got three loverly pooches, very energetic and prone to outbursts of yaps and hoots, vibrating my eardrums!
[Davos is kept in a completely different area than the dogs. They are in the yard and he is kept in the pool area, which is entirely enclosed as well.]
He doesn't seem stressed about it, just looks in that direction and seems disappointed in their rudeness.

When we're out sitting with him, we talk low and try not to shout, I can only imagine sound would be louder and echo in a tub or bin. He recognizes different voices, turning his head every time someone new talks, and sometimes, when he's really into what your saying, he looks at you side ways, to really study you!

And my mom had a habit of using the"puppy voice". You know, the one to get furpups all excited abd start to dance! Well, my mom forgets that though he is Davos the Onion Turble, he is most definitely not a dog, and he DOES NOT like to be talked to like that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tortoise can feel vibrations....deep percussion can be felt.....at what depth or tone does it become an irritant to a tortoise....no way to know?

As suggested, if the tort does not appear negatively affected then perhaps all is okay, is there no way to move the location to a quieter part of like your bedroom or something?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks very much the information, appreciate it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My tortoises come running when they hear my wife call

I have one of the CDTs here that I take my flip flop off and hit the ground outside of the burrow entrance a few times and start calling down the hole (I think the calling is more for me than him---) and I will hear the scuffle of the tort and his shell rubbing all the way up the hole until he comes into view....:D

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I'd say it probably wont bother him too much, I have a Russian tortoise, we watch tv sometimes, he got very interested in ice age lol like head stretched out watching the tv! but I think as long as its not blasting it'll be ok.
Yes the enclosure is small, but the species is also just like that constantly trying to climb/escape, even when my Nank is outside in a 6'x6' enclosure he'll find a corner and try to get out!