Another Mazuri thread

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There's an ad for Mazuri across the top of my screen that says Mazuri is now available at Petco. I'll have to check out their prices. I buy mine at the feed store for around $25 - that's the old formula. The ad says that Petco has the new forumula.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Last time I looked at my local Petco it was $12 for a 12 oz bag. And, I can't remember if that was the original or new formula. I feed the new LS formula all summer. My sulcata ate it, but left lots of it uneaten. Recently I got a new bag of the original formula. My sulcata leaves none behind. When I feed it I mix in hay and fallen grape or mulberry leaves. Sometimes I throw in fresh grass clippings just to add more fiber. I just feel guilty feeding him a bowl of Mazuri.

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Vail Colorado
whats the difference between the old and new one?

That's what I was asking, too, if you mean the tortoise diet LS. I've gotten nearly 100 views but not a single reply. I don't think the dried apple pomace is good for all tortoises, especially mine. Mazuri should be careful about its promotion of the product in my opinion. But until I know more, I can't say for sure. I may ask Mazuri directly. Seems like this list is unusually lacking in advice on this particular topic.

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by j156ghs, Dec 14, 2014.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
That's what I was asking, too, if you mean the tortoise diet LS. I've gotten nearly 100 views but not a single reply. I don't think the dried apple pomace is good for all tortoises, especially mine. Mazuri should be careful about its promotion of the product in my opinion. But until I know more, I can't say for sure. I may ask Mazuri directly. Seems like this list is unusually lacking in advice on this particular topic.

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by j156ghs, Dec 14, 2014.
I read your thread, I thought you were asking about a gag reflex more than anything else, since I had no knowledge of dried apple pomace and gagging I had no response. I feed both varieties of mazuri. The main differences are Ingredients, Color, Size of pellets, and Cost. I feal the LS is to "new" to tell the benefits of feeding it over the original formula, but I haven't seen any reason not to feed it yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I believe "LS" stands for "low sodium."

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Red footeds will eat both, but clearly prefer the non-L.S. I was told by someone at Tortoise Supply that the LS is slightly lower in protein and that the regular is better suited for a Red Foot.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Tortoise supply sold me some pretty nice sized bags on the cheap....I forget how much exactly.

yes, I bought one bag from them too, and I'm a cheap person (thanks, college) so it must've been a good price. Haven't had to buy more because my male won't eat it, and I JUST adopted a female. She eats it, so I'll be in the market for more soon. :)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I like the LS formula. My sulcata likes to eat the original formula. He was feed LS from March through August this year. During that time his poops were always firm with undigested hay and grass. Since I started feeding him the original formula again I have noticed that his poop is less firm and at times even runny. Not sure if this change is the primary reason or not. He also has gotten more stubborn (very dangerous for a sulcata to get more stubborn) and will forgo grazing and wait for a Mazuri feeding. So now we have this stand off and I am going to win.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I like the LS formula. My sulcata likes to eat the original formula. He was feed LS from March through August this year. During that time his poops were always firm with undigested hay and grass. Since I started feeding him the original formula again I have noticed that his poop is less firm and at times even runny. Not sure if this change is the primary reason or not. He also has gotten more stubborn (very dangerous for a sulcata to get more stubborn) and will forgo grazing and wait for a Mazuri feeding. So now we have this stand off and I am going to win.
This sums up my experience with the two types. Also I think it fills them up faster so they dont eat as much making the higher price ok.

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Vail Colorado
I asked the question of a Ralston Purina representative for Mazuri about the use of dried apple pomace in the LS reformulation in particular and if the company had fielded many or any concerns, complaints or comments in general about the product. I reported my experience with my Hermann's to them. That was Dec. 26, 2014. I received only an auto do-not reply response so last week I again contacted the same person, including a copy of my original query. I will post any reply if I get one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have bought the small bag when I ran out. That is all Petco sells I my area is the small bag. I order my large bag through a feed and need type store up in michigan. It's the old stuff, my torts were not thrilled with the new stuff. Almost anyone that sells purina products should be able to order the Mazuri. I pay about 27.00 for the largest bag they sell.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have a Russian tortoise and I bought 1 pound of the new LS formula to try out. I was told it is better for a Russian because it has higher fiber and less protein. because of its shape and texture it is very hard to dissolve in water so I sent it through a blender and basically made a powder out of it. I just add some water to it and mix it in with greens. so far my tortoise is not thrilled but I'm going to keep adding it anyway. I may just sprinkle it on top mixed together of some wet greens.