All dressed up, and no place to go. Where do I get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anja

5 Year Member
I am new to this and plan on getting a Russian around February:D. I know how I am going to keep it (russiantortoise.org instructions), but I have no idea where I am going to get it. I have seen them at pet stores, and there are a couple rescue places in my area (MA), but I want to avoid the pet store, and they seem quite infrequent for adoption. Also, I don't know what age is best to get. I would really like a baby, but I don't know many pros and cons about this. Anything anyone knows would be really helpful.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
The best thing about getting from a good breeder, is you have more knowledge on your animal as an individual with most being able to show you not only parents, but hatching pictures of the one your getting as well as it's siblings. You know it's health, how it has been raised, how it was incubated, and facts and information about the parents, their care, ect.., A good breeder will work with you and share their knowledge openly and easily with you. A good breeder will only be selling a youngster that is secure in itself, active, and healthy to the best of their knowledge. An animal with a high chance of thriving and giving you years of pleasure.

Remember, I said a "good" breeder. Ask around, check out breeders before ever seeing their youngsters they have for sale first if possible. Once you see a bay, your usually sold on the sweet guy. :rolleyes: Ask yourself if your okay with having one shipped to you or do you want to pick it up/choose it yourself?

Getting a youngster means you can know more about it and watch it grow and mature. A pleasure uncomparable. However the downsides are that hatchlings tend to be more difficult to raise, because those tiny bodies have so little to fight against disease or wrong care. You also will not know what sex it will be or even for sure how it will look as an adult.

A youngster can be housed in a smaller environment, but a pickier one. It, because of small body mass, needs a more closely monitored and set up environment. It will need close watch to be sure the shell hardens correctly and pyramiding doesn't start. The water source needs to start small and shallow. Straight edged hides work best, until they get over the "falling over on the back and can't get up stage". Humidity and lighting needs are also more critical. Security too, these little guys are more likely to become prey then older animals. Plus tiny bodies can squeeze thru even tinier, almost nonexistant holes.

An adult will mean you can see what gender it is, see how it looks as an adult, it's personality, and it is a hardier animal. Downside is more a tendency towards it coming with problems like diseases. Does it matter to you if it was once a wild caught animal? Most adults will have at one time been wild caught. Taking one from a rescue can give you a good feeling knowing you have helped it. Does that make an added positive statement for you?

Older animals more so then youngsters, really do best with being outside as much as possible. It's easier to keep them secure and once more they can take a bit more weather extremes then a small baby. Older animals tend to be pickier about their diets, because as youngsters they were never fed much variety or previous keepers have kept them on limited variety diets or spoiled them with their favorites. An older animal may be shyer, may not be as willing to eat, and may more want to do the normal cycling with the seasons...such as slowing down and then hibernating during the winter months. An older animal is usally going to need more vet work. Especially with parasite control and beak shavings. Because most older animals will be wild caught, their shells are also not as smooth and pretty as a captive born animal.

The choice is more a personal thing. For me, I like adults best.

Once you decide what you want as far as age, maybe gender, maybe past or current history, then go from there as where to look. We have several breeders in here and know of more. We also can suggest rescues, if you wish to go that way. For most rescues you will need to show them you have a correct setup and we can help you get one fixed up. If you end up just getting the one you see at the neighborhood pet store, that too is fine. We will work with you every step of the way as you decide what you want and then once you get it.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Anja, Welcome and Kudos to you for finding thise place before you get your (first) tort.
Watch out, they are like potato chips!!!!
Where in Ma are you? I'm near Umass.
Na

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nay said:
Anja, Welcome and Kudos to you for finding thise place before you get your (first) tort.
Na

They are like potato chips? do you mean they come in a bag and are sold by weight not volume? J/K :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
dmmj said:
Nay said:
Na

They are like potato chips? do you mean they come in a bag and are sold by weight not volume? J/K :)

Nay, if only they came that way. :D

Welcome Anja. My suggestion would be to go with an older tort. They are a bit easier for a first time keeper. If you could get a juvenile or sub adult that would be great and "good" breeders do have them too.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Hey another Anja :) Welcome aboard.

Anja

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
The best thing about getting from a good breeder, is you have more knowledge on your animal as an individual with most being able to show you not only parents, but hatching pictures of the one your getting as well as it's siblings. You know it's health, how it has been raised, how it was incubated, and facts and information about the parents, their care, ect.., A good breeder will work with you and share their knowledge openly and easily with you. A good breeder will only be selling a youngster that is secure in itself, active, and healthy to the best of their knowledge. An animal with a high chance of thriving and giving you years of pleasure.

Remember, I said a "good" breeder. Ask around, check out breeders before ever seeing their youngsters they have for sale first if possible. Once you see a bay, your usually sold on the sweet guy. :rolleyes: Ask yourself if your okay with having one shipped to you or do you want to pick it up/choose it yourself?

Getting a youngster means you can know more about it and watch it grow and mature. A pleasure uncomparable. However the downsides are that hatchlings tend to be more difficult to raise, because those tiny bodies have so little to fight against disease or wrong care. You also will not know what sex it will be or even for sure how it will look as an adult.

A youngster can be housed in a smaller environment, but a pickier one. It, because of small body mass, needs a more closely monitored and set up environment. It will need close watch to be sure the shell hardens correctly and pyramiding doesn't start. The water source needs to start small and shallow. Straight edged hides work best, until they get over the "falling over on the back and can't get up stage". Humidity and lighting needs are also more critical. Security too, these little guys are more likely to become prey then older animals. Plus tiny bodies can squeeze thru even tinier, almost nonexistant holes.

An adult will mean you can see what gender it is, see how it looks as an adult, it's personality, and it is a hardier animal. Downside is more a tendency towards it coming with problems like diseases. Does it matter to you if it was once a wild caught animal? Most adults will have at one time been wild caught. Taking one from a rescue can give you a good feeling knowing you have helped it. Does that make an added positive statement for you?

Older animals more so then youngsters, really do best with being outside as much as possible. It's easier to keep them secure and once more they can take a bit more weather extremes then a small baby. Older animals tend to be pickier about their diets, because as youngsters they were never fed much variety or previous keepers have kept them on limited variety diets or spoiled them with their favorites. An older animal may be shyer, may not be as willing to eat, and may more want to do the normal cycling with the seasons...such as slowing down and then hibernating during the winter months. An older animal is usally going to need more vet work. Especially with parasite control and beak shavings. Because most older animals will be wild caught, their shells are also not as smooth and pretty as a captive born animal.

The choice is more a personal thing. For me, I like adults best.

Once you decide what you want as far as age, maybe gender, maybe past or current history, then go from there as where to look. We have several breeders in here and know of more. We also can suggest rescues, if you wish to go that way. For most rescues you will need to show them you have a correct setup and we can help you get one fixed up. If you end up just getting the one you see at the neighborhood pet store, that too is fine. We will work with you every step of the way as you decide what you want and then once you get it.

Thank you very much for your advice. I know there are definitely breeders in my area, and I will start looking into them as soon as possible. I might have a bit of a problem keeping them outdoors because we have a lot of animals such a raccoons, skunks, foxes, and hawks in our neighborhood. I will be able to keep my tort outside in the daytime during the summer, early fall, and late spring.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Welcome to the forum! We are in MA also!!! We keep charlie indoors because we live in a condo. Don't know any local breeders -- would keep a look out at the rescue shelters.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Nay said:
Na

I think she means that, like potato chips, tortoises are addicting and you keep wanting more.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.