Status
Not open for further replies.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
You will not likely find anyone here who feels that spending the next 50+ years with a pet tort is a bad thing. However it is a big commitment. I have 5 Russians currently and love them, they are a great tort. Whenever i place one of my babies in new homes I always make sure that the new family is aware of the fact that this tort can live a healthy 50-70 years. But is just not realistic to expect someone to know what the next 50-70 years will hold for them. I ask them to make a commitment to taking the best care of the tort, and if that means it is not them that can provide that, then I ask that the tort come home to me. I never want my torts in a rescue situation. They ALWAYS have a home. Even if it means that after many years the tort comes back to me it is fine.

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
I agree, if I ever had rehome my tortoise I would wait until the perfect family came along!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
kanalomele said:
You will not likely find anyone here who feels that spending the next 50+ years with a pet tort is a bad thing. However it is a big commitment. I have 5 Russians currently and love them, they are a great tort. Whenever i place one of my babies in new homes I always make sure that the new family is aware of the fact that this tort can live a healthy 50-70 years. But is just not realistic to expect someone to know what the next 50-70 years will hold for them. I ask them to make a commitment to taking the best care of the tort, and if that means it is not them that can provide that, then I ask that the tort come home to me. I never want my torts in a rescue situation. They ALWAYS have a home. Even if it means that after many years the tort comes back to me it is fine.

I'm going to do that too when I breed my Russian :)

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
I don't think there is a real thing as too deep, except that finding your tort can be difficult haha. Russians love to dig and will probably be happy with as much as you're willing to allow.

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
Okay! I will plan on 4 inches then! As for the enclosure, does that sound okay? I will be customizing the lids of the containers. I will leave a plastic border but put chicken wire or something similar on the middle so there's good air circulation if I need to put the lid on. Does this all sound okay? I have a layout that I would also like to run by someone. I will have UVB and basking lights in both containers, and there will be a hiding log connecting the two tubs. In one I will have a large hideaway and cuttlebone, and the other tub will have a shallow pool and food dish. For the substrate, I am thinking coconut fiber. Is this okay alone, or should I mix it with something else? Or would something completely different be better? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna make sure I am doing right by my tortoise! :)

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Four inches sounds good, that's about what I have in my outdoor kiddie pool. I'm kind of a noob, but all of that sounds just fine. In fact, it sounds really cool and I'm stoked to see pictures once it's set up! Coconut fiber's great. I'd wet it VERY SLIGHTLY every now and then to keep it from getting dusty/keep it diggable. Good luck!

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
Thank you so much! I am very excited to see how everything looks when its finished, hopefully I'll be able to start in the next couple of days! Fingers Crossed! And yes, I will definitely be posting pics as it comes along! :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I hooked two Rubbermaids together and it worked out very well. I just removed the lip on one side and overlapped them, then cut a doorway.
I really like your idea of a connecting bridge. Russians really like exploring and climbing.
You can even go 6" deep in some areas, they love to burrow as well.

You can have UVB on one side, and, since UVB's are pricy, a regular (probably 100w) light bulb on the other for warmth. In each case, make sure the bulbs are on one side of that part, so there is a cool side too.
I bet the Zoomed lamp stands would work very well with the Rubbermaid containers. I set up a wood cross piece to hang the UVB from.

Here is a pic: you can set a piece of wood across the lip inside the container for a hide (see lower right of pic).

IMG_0010.jpg

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
That's awesome! Thank you so much for posting a pic, I'm so glad I could see an example! So it would be okay to have just one of each lamp? I would much rather do that because the lights are so expensive but I want to make sure that it will not harm my tortoise. If two lamps are better, I will do it; however, if I don't need to then I can put that money towards something else for my tort :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Absolutely. Some experienced tort owners just use regular light bulbs in the winter, not UVB, because their torts get sun outside all summer (the very best UVB).

As far as the strength of the bulb, just check temps. Basking area under the MVB (UVB), cool side (s) and in between.

Look for an infared temp gun, about $25. (PE-1 temp gun is one good brand). You point it at a spot and it gives a reading.
check Amazon, reptile supply online stores.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31k4KGwGg4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In the second side, I use large rocks to create small hills, a black plastic plant pot on it's side, cover with stones and moss, etc.
Plants are fake from a craft store.

ChipBarGirl

5 Year Member
I love the little pool you made! What kind of dish is that? I also love the rock idea. I am planning on using fake plants from a craft store; I just want to double-check that the tortoise will not eat them. I was also thinking about laying a terracotta pot on its side as a hideaway. Will they use this, or would something else be better?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The pool is just a plant pot base that I had laying around. I think the non glazed ones are better, less slippery, tho that did not seem an issue.
They may nose the fake plants, but don't eat them. The silk (rather than plastic) plants are better, and even help hold some moisture.
Terracotta pots make great hides. Just submerge them a lot into the substrate and back fill with more substrate. Get the pot at least 1/2 way into the substrate so they can burrow at bit inside of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.