Zoomed grassland tortoise food?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
My sulcata Rex has finally tried the grassland pellets from zoomed. He seems to really enjoy them. I have been giving him some about 3 times a week.
Is that too much, or could he eat more. It’s just a part of his diet.
Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Depends on how you are using it. If you are feeding that as a stand alone meal, then 3 times a week is good. If you are using it to amend grocery store greens, then I'd mix in some every day.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Depends on how you are using it. If you are feeding that as a stand alone meal, then 3 times a week is good. If you are using it to amend grocery store greens, then I'd mix in some every day.
I’ve been mixing orchard grass hay with red and green leaf lettuce on the days I don’t give zoomed tortoise food. Trying to get him to eat hay.
I give him collards/endive and such one or twice a week. Should I try to mix the zoomed with the hay instead of the lettuces. He just doesn’t seem to want plain hay

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been mixing orchard grass hay with red and green leaf lettuce on the days I don’t give zoomed tortoise food. Trying to get him to eat hay.
I give him collards/endive and such one or twice a week. Should I try to mix the zoomed with the hay instead of the lettuces. He just doesn’t seem to want plain hay
What size and age tortoise?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just looked up the ingredients of the Zoomed “Grassland” pellets and I’m wondering how the ginger & juniper jumped in there?
I’ll bet no one feeds their torts either of these added ingredients.
  • Full of sun cured oat and timothy hay, as well as dried Dandelion greens and extracts of Ginger, Garlic, Juniper and Cassia

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s about 10 inches, and 7 lbs, around 2 and a half years old
I usually wait until they are around 12" to start with hay, but no reason you can't start now.

I would do two things:
  1. Get some dry hay and chop it up with scissors. Then, feed the tortoise all its food on a bed of that hay.
  2. Chop some hay up super fine and soak it in warm water for an hour or two. Then mix in a tiny tiny amount with the days' greens. The trick is to use only a tiny amount of the hay at first and make sure it is chopped up super fine. If you use too much or if the pieces are too big, its not likely to work as well.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
I usually wait until they are around 12" to start with hay, but no reason you can't start now.

I would do two things:
  1. Get some dry hay and chop it up with scissors. Then, feed the tortoise all its food on a bed of that hay.
  2. Chop some hay up super fine and soak it in warm water for an hour or two. Then mix in a tiny tiny amount with the days' greens. The trick is to use only a tiny amount of the hay at first and make sure it is chopped up super fine. If you use too much or if the pieces are too big, its not likely to work as well.
Thanks Tom