Will Zoomed grassland tortoise food attract ants?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
My sulcata Rex normally gets a bowl of zoomed grassland tortoise food once a week. I always take him out of his enclosure to feed him that because I don’t want to attract any ants.
Just wondering if I could just put the bowl in the enclosure for the day and clean up that afternoon, without attracting ants?

jeneliza

burton michigan
I wouldn't think if it's just that in a bowl it would at least not for just the day, you could do one or two pellets, wet in the ground and see for sure , but it doesn't seem like something they would go out of there way for

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
I wouldn't think if it's just that in a bowl it would at least not for just the day, you could do one or two pellets, wet in the ground and see for sure , but it doesn't seem like something they would go out of there way for
Good idea, I will try that first

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any food will attract ants. I would start attacking any ants in the area to get rid of them before they move into your enclosure.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Any food will attract ants. I would start attacking any ants in the area to get rid of them before they move into your enclosure.
It’s a constant battle, I use terra ant baits around the enclosure, and ant poison on the nest. They just seem to keep popping up

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s a constant battle, I use terra ant baits around the enclosure, and ant poison on the nest. They just seem to keep popping up
Same here. I'm constantly battling all the critters. Grasshoppers, gophers, rabbits, ground squirrels, rats and caterpillars eating the food I'm trying to grow. Ants, flies, pincher bugs, cochineal bugs and cactus bugs, aphids... The onslaught is never ending.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Same here. I'm constantly battling all the critters. Grasshoppers, gophers, rabbits, ground squirrels, rats and caterpillars eating the food I'm trying to grow. Ants, flies, pincher bugs, cochineal bugs and cactus bugs, aphids... The onslaught is never ending.
you could use what i use for mine, everything hates it, plus no chemicals, (but dih soap) take dish soap.dried red peppers the hotter the better, vinger, water spray bottle, fill bottle with warm water, 3/4 of the way, add peppers, aspoon full of dish soap, and a spoon of vinger(not to much so it wont burn the plants) let set for 24 hours, spray the vegs, and plants , and reapply after rain or watering, the longer it sits before using the better, it get stronger, being the peppers break down more

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Do y’all have problems with deer, we get deer in the garden every year. We use electric fences, but eventually they jump them. Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do y’all have problems with deer, we get deer in the garden every year. We use electric fences, but eventually they jump them. Lol

The deer stay away because of all the dogs.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I do, there the hardest to deal with, I am thinking of using coyote pee around the outside of my garden fence , I heard this works and humen hair, I have been saving my son and husbands hair to try this,I don't like that they eat my veggies, but I could deal with this, but the damages they do , is the worst part, they smash the plants, etc, the first time they got in my garden, it was a mama and her two fawbs, it looked like toodlers played in my garden,