Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tortoise help

psutoon

Hello,

I have been reading that our (Russian Tortoise) RT's can be stubborn and must be patient when trying to adopt new food in their diet.

I have been mixing the Zoomed Natural Grassland pellets with Joe's green's and yet he simply will not eat the minced pellets which are stuck to the greens. I reduced from using 4 pellets to 2 pellets in hopes to have Joe eat what is in his plate but that is not working. It has been almost 2 months now.

Joe will eat any greens I lay out (of course) but still no sign of any acceptance or growing tolerance to the Natural Grassland pellets. How did some of you get across this road block? I see on various YouTube clips of RT's eating the minced pellets mixed with greens with no issues.

So again, any ideas would greatly be appreciated! I even tried sprinkling the "All Living Things Tortoise Pellets", which are the small colorful tiny, thin pellets into the mix of greens and Natural Grassland pellets with no luck still.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, one of your problems is that Russians aren't big grass eaters. They eat more of the broad-leaf plants and weeds. I really doubt he'll ever take to the grassland pellets.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Aside from being uneaten, a lot of the colorful pellets also offer little in the way of actual nutrition.
have you tried mixing with Mazuri tortoise formula? (Not the L.S.type)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I soak grassland in water so it is a mush, and then mix a bit with well chopped greens. I supplement with this only 1 or 2 times per week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't know what you mean by "minced". You cut them up dry?

I take one pellet and soak it until it turns to much. Then I spray the days greens with some water. Then I thoroughly mix up the mushy pellet with the greens. Do this every day. Picky tortoises are hungry tortoises at my house.

I also agree with Yvonne. Russians are not grass eaters and are unlikely to just walk up and eat this food ever, but these pellets are a good way to add fiber to grocery store greens and improve the diet.