zoo med coconut fiber?

Emilia&Mose

Location (City and/or State)
New York
what is your opinion on coconut fiber for baby sulcatas? also, is the gardening coco coir okay for them or is it treated with chemicals as a potting soil?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what is your opinion on coconut fiber for baby sulcatas? also, is the gardening coco coir okay for them or is it treated with chemicals as a potting soil?
My opinion is that coco coir is too messy for sulcatas. Its not harmful or dangerous, but its not the best substrate for them either. Fine grade orchid bark is the best compromise of all the substrates. I buy o bark in bulk from my local garden centers. Also called "fir bark".

I've never seen any additives in coir when I buy it in bulk from the garden center. Looks at the ingredients list. It will tell you if there is anything added. Now I buy coco coir and coco chips (I use it for other reptiles...) from these guys: https://prococo.com. Great product, great prices, and great service.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The coco husk fiber is very similar to the bark Tom uses. I use only coco coir, and coco fiber for mine, but I do not have baby sulcatas.