Yummy! Let's eat gravel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
As many of you know, tortoises eat gravel on occasion.

Rizo, my 15 pound Redfoot, apparently has been eating gravel lately. Today she pooped out two pieces, one of which is large! I thought a picture may be helpful to someone who's never seen this...

I wonder if it tastes good on the way down....

I'm not concerned about her, I've been through the drill with many others and know what to look for and keep track of to make sure foreign objects are not impacting her gut.

Attachments

• Rizo gravel.JPG
    Rizo gravel.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 77

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I find the addition of some mineral supplementation brings this to a halt. I've had good success with "Miner-All" and I'm trying out the Repashy stuff right now.

Plain calcium can actually make it worse. You need a complete mineral supplement. I believe it happens due to mineral imbalance or just lack of certain minerals.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
I find the addition of some mineral supplementation brings this to a halt. I've had good success with "Miner-All" and I'm trying out the Repashy stuff right now.

Plain calcium can actually make it worse. You need a complete mineral supplement. I believe it happens due to mineral imbalance or just lack of certain minerals.

She gets mineral supplementation and calcium as part of her regular diet. Maybe I should try another kind....

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I totally agree with tom. I've had this problem with my sulcata. I tried everything. I ordered miner-all... within a week there were no more rocks in her poop. I was amazed. But think about, it makes sense. Rocks are made of minerals....it works!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Do Hermann's need mineral supplementation too? Where do you get your miner-all?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
You can get it online or I have seen it at our local reptile shop. Isn't it amazin how smart they are and how they use nature to survive?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.