Young Bolivian & Northern Females

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
2008 hatched Bolivian female is a good 8.5" SCL -

Having "Chicken-based" hydrated dry catfood.

These few pics should tell us a lot.

2006 hatched Northern is 9" SCL -

Tell us what you see please?

@N2TORTS .. email me and will tell you heritage of yours.. which is cousin to this one...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Head of the Bolivian is solid in color from nose to back of the eyes.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
The animal on the right...the northern? Has beautiful legs.
The tortoise on the left doesn't look like a Bolivian to me. Seems like a typical Brazilian red-head from the head shots alone.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The animal on the right...the northern? Has beautiful legs.
The tortoise on the left doesn't look like a Bolivian to me. Seems like a typical Brazilian red-head from the head shots alone.

Sure doesn't.. does it Carl?

From a Douglas Beard ad. - Oct.22, 2008 hatchling -

And 'out-of-box' Oct. 29, 2008 -

Do not have plastron shot.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Wow that was a gorgeous hatchling.
Doug is trustworthy but I've never seen a Bolivian that resembled that tortoise before. But that doesn't mean it isn't one either.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Doug is trustworthy but I've never seen a Bolivian that resembled that tortoise before. But that doesn't mean it isn't one either.

ABSOLUTELY Carl!!!

That's the point I have been trying to make since this "BOLIVIAN" thing started.. there are always exceptions and extremes.. sooooooo we can't put any of them in a box can we? Too many are calling this a science - which can only occure when we can "totally" control ALL parameters involved. The "...well we don't have enough samples or enough time... just doesn't fly!!!

How about this? Let's enjoy what we have and quit questioning everything/anything. We can't change it anyway...........

Yes she was a gorgeous hatchling -- don't we wish we had the foresight?

Bryan

10 Year Member!

It really is interesting how much difference I have seen between animals from 3 separate Bolivian breeders. One of the breeders who likely has the largest group has some really significant variation in their hatchlings. Some have extremely dark plastrons while others aren't as black. Some are more red in scale color while others are much lighter. From what I have seen as a general rule of thumb the Bolivian breeders that had the first picks in the shipments seem to have the nicest hatchlings on average. It's pretty amazing that this is the case at least IMO based on 1 generation of selected breeding.