Yellow spotted river turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Not getting into any other aspect other than to tell you , they are absolutely perfect...gorgeous.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The adults in right picture are left turtle = Podocnemis unifilis right turtle = Podocnemis erythrocephala. The turtles in left picture are Podocnemis unifilis.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Itort said:
The adults in right picture are left turtle = Podocnemis unifilis right turtle = Podocnemis erythrocephala. The turtles in left picture are Podocnemis unifilis.

But but those on the left are when they were smaller - I bought 12 , exactly the same ( yellow spotted ) as hatchlings !!

As for the adult animals picture on the right only 3 turn out unlike the regular yellow spotted @ Podocnemis unifilis !!

Just wondering thus posting here for more views .

Cheers

RMB

5 Year Member
I am surprised that your question has not yet been correctly answered...

Indeed, both of your beautiful turtles are without question Podocnemis unifilis. The ontogenic change observed is completely normal in this species (i.e. this is part of the sexual dimorphism that occurs as they age). As females approach sexual maturity, they lose their yellow spots as the head becomes a uniform buff coloration. Males retain the yellow spots. So your photo represents a great comparison between a male and a female.

P.S. I am in desperate need of a female! (I have only four males.)

Alles uber schildkroten

5 Year Member
Earth
RE: Yellow spotted river turtle

Yes, I currently have a couple of these guys. I've been told there are all kinds of laws pertaining to owning them, selling, transporting, etc. Is there ANYTHING you can tell me regarding these laws or point me in a good direction... I'm kind of lost and have been trying to find stuff but I haven't really found anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.