Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Heyyy I’m new to this tortoise forum page but figured it would be good to join since I’ve recently purchased a baby female leopard tortoise. I was giving her a bath this morning before her dinner time when I noticed this yellow marking, I have searched google but I’m being lead to all different answers so I’m hoping someone here that is an experienced leaped tortoise owner would know what this is? I didn’t want to lift her upside down as I know it’s bad for them so this is the best I could do

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! That's the remnants of where the yolk was attached while (she) was in the egg. . .You won'e know it you've got a male or a female leopard tortoise for a couple years yet. The all look female at that size. Even those incubated for female have a chance of ending up male.

Reactions: Ink
United Kingdom
Welcome to the Forum! That's the remnants of where the yolk was attached while (she) was in the egg. . .You won'e know it you've got a male or a female leopard tortoise for a couple years yet. The all look female at that size. Even those incubated for female have a chance of ending up male.
Thank you for your response! And I did also think that however the person I got her from told me she’s a definate female, I’m happy either way anyways I have a name prepared for if she does end up being male😂

United Kingdom

Also, as I can see that you’re obviously very educated about tortoises, do you think she looks like a healthy and happy tortoise from those photos I’ve sent? I’m happy to send a photo from the top of her shell too if needed😊