Yellow Crystal

yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
Today i found this yellow crystal in my tortoises enclosure and looked up what i could be. I found something about that they're urin could crystalize when they're super dehydrated but the picture of those where very different from what i found sense what i found was compeltely dry and hard on the outside and inside and looked almost like a piece of hard candy and kind of felt like it to. Unfortunately. When i picked it up and fumbled with it it completly crumbled apart but heres a picture of the crumbles.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Generally, stones are white, I have had torts with bladder stones and they are white and crumble. BUT, I'm thinking that your baby is small, so possibly it is that color due to some food or something that he was given at the breeders. Soak your baby DAILY for 15 to 20 minutes in warm water. That will help with dehydration.

yay14

stockholm
Generally, stones are white, I have had torts with bladder stones and they are white and crumble. BUT, I'm thinking that your baby is small, so possibly it is that color due to some food or something that he was given at the breeders. Soak your baby DAILY for 15 to 20 minutes in warm water. That will help with dehydration.
I am currrently soaking him twice a day for 30 minutes becuse he had some gritty urates. Hes a year old and has not been with hes breeder since may

yay14

stockholm
It was also smooth on the outside which i don't think bladder stones are.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It was also smooth on the outside which i don't think bladder stones are.
OK, you've had him for long enuf. If those crystals have only showed up once... stop worrying and enjoy your baby, just keep up what you are doing until another crystal and if another shows up.

yay14

stockholm
OK, you've had him for long enuf. If those crystals have only showed up once... stop worrying and enjoy your baby, just keep up what you are doing until another crystal and if another shows up.
[/QUOTEOk thank you so much for the replies but now i am wondering i it even was a crystal haha it looked kinda like this. (the ones on the right)hqdefault (3).jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I actually thought about that...here is some of my experience...this is a bladder stone that weighed abt a pound that helped cause the death of my 120 pound 17 year old Sulcata. I also have a stone from another of my Sulcata that weighed 25 grams but I couldn't find where I put it...anyhow...I know this is a big stone, but they pretty much all look like this big or small, and you can see that over time the outside is turning into powder. If you want better pictures of it let me know...
100_6217.JPG
100_6213.JPG
So stop worrying, or start selling rings made from tortoise crystals...lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Today i found this yellow crystal in my tortoises enclosure and looked up what i could be. I found something about that they're urin could crystalize when they're super dehydrated but the picture of those where very different from what i found sense what i found was compeltely dry and hard on the outside and inside and looked almost like a piece of hard candy and kind of felt like it to. Unfortunately. When i picked it up and fumbled with it it completly crumbled apart but heres a picture of the crumbles.
That could be a little bit of urate material that is stained by the substrate, but it kind of looks like crumbles form the back of a cuttlebone too. Do you offer cuttlebone to your tortoise?

yay14

stockholm
That could be a little bit of urate material that is stained by the substrate, but it kind of looks like crumbles form the back of a cuttlebone too. Do you offer cuttlebone to your tortoise?
I do offer cuttlebone but when i found it it looked like the picture i posted with the ring next to it and the yellow stone was almost the size of his head and became crumbles once i picked it up and fumbled with it. So in don't think it has anything to to with the cuttlebone

yay14

stockholm
I actually thought about that...here is some of my experience...this is a bladder stone that weighed abt a pound that helped cause the death of my 120 pound 17 year old Sulcata. I also have a stone from another of my Sulcata that weighed 25 grams but I couldn't find where I put it...anyhow...I know this is a big stone, but they pretty much all look like this big or small, and you can see that over time the outside is turning into powder. If you want better pictures of it let me know...
View attachment 314565
View attachment 314566
Haha Thanks for the reply

yay14

stockholm
I am starting to think what i found probably did not even come from the tortoise.

yay14

stockholm
View attachment 314565
View attachment 314566
I honestly think what ever i found in the enclousre did not even come from the tortoise. :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I honestly think what ever i found in the enclousre did not even come from the tortoise. :)
It sure wasn't a stone such as bladder. Probably been in the substrate all this time, and just worked it's way up to the top.

Guts

Tennessee
What substrate are you using? I’ll occasionally find quartz like pebbles in my coco coir so i wouldn’t be surprised if its just something that was mixed in with your sub

yay14

stockholm
What substrate are you using? I’ll occasionally find quartz like pebbles in my coco coir so i wouldn’t be surprised if its just something that was mixed in with your sub
I use repti bark