Yello Gourd Squash

Status
Not open for further replies.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rocklin, CA
My mom has some "volunteer" plants that my dad has identified as yellow gourd squah- the kind that has all the little bumps. I've tried looking but haven't had success with finding out if they are safe to feed to Sulcatas. I am also wondering if the leaves would be ok. Funny thing- my parents have absolutely no idea where these plants came from or how they got started growing. they were actually hoping hey were the regular yellow squabble. Thanks for your help!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Gourds are different than squash. If you've eaten them, then I'm sure they're fine. Otherwise, a pic might help identification.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I was thinking that they were different than a squash, I saw a show once where they made ornaments out of Gourds...

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Yvonne, I was going to suggest the same thing. I think they might be talking about the crook-necked squash or the yellow summer squash.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
emysemys said:
Does it look like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=croo...w.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--33216/crook

This is crook-neck squash and its edible.

Thanks Yvonne- I was waiting for your response! You never disappoint. I haven't seen the gourd since it was very small and then it looked like a yellow summer squash. I'll have my parents take a look at the photo and compare it to their plant. If this is what it is are the leaves edible for torts as well?

Sorry for all the misspellings in my original post. Sometimes the smartphone is a godsend, sometimes not so much- at least in the way of the darn keyboard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes the leaves are also edible.

Status
Not open for further replies.