Yay salmonella!

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Well I forgot to wash my hands for the first time ever because I was on the phone when I was feeding my baby turtles in a separate container, and I puked twice last night and skipped school today:( this sucks!! Has this happened to anyone else lol I can see why selling baby turtles is illegal

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I'm terrible with that part and have never had a problem. I have a tortoise though, not sure if they are less contagious then a turtle or not. Sorry, you got sick, hope its over and your feeling better.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Wow, I'm terrible with that part and have never had a problem. I have a tortoise though, not sure if they are less contagious then a turtle or not. Sorry, you got sick, hope its over and your feeling better.

Thank you lol and my cousin said that she never washes her hands with her 3 sulcatas and she can even kiss them and she won't get sick so I'm guessing it is less likely in tortoises than water turtles

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Have you been to a doctor to rule out that it could or could not be salmonella. Its possible to get it if you did place dirty turtle water in your mouth. I dont believe you can contract it from just talking on the phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep ,it's in the reptile poop . Water turtles poo and swim poo and swim so I would guess that is what you have . But there is more to it than just pukeing with this you can also bleed when you use number2 so if you think you got it you need to see a doctor sooner than later.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

[email protected]

5 Year Member
i touched them and then I ate subway before I washed my hands lol I'm not 100% sure it's salmonella but I'm pretty sure it is

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its probably the sub way. Would be wise to have a doctor check you out. Gonna need to do a fecal on yah.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Always have apple cider vinegar on hand. Best stuff ever. Lots of info and testimonials at earthclinic.com and google in general. As gross as it sounds, a shot of this straight has helped me twice when I thought I had food poisoning. A grandpa old timey remedy. I use the raw, organic, unfiltered one from health food store. It looks murky, they call that "the mother" and it's good stuff. Give it to most of my pets, too.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Always have apple cider vinegar on hand. Best stuff ever. Lots of info and testimonials at earthclinic.com and google in general. As gross as it sounds, a shot of this straight has helped me twice when I thought I had food poisoning. A grandpa old timey remedy. I use the raw, organic, unfiltered one from health food store. It looks murky, they call that "the mother" and it's good stuff. Give it to most of my pets, too.

Alright just tried this tasted like **** but we will see what happens lol

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yep, its hard core plug your nose time when taken straight, but for me, it has worked. You can also dilute it with water but for food poisoning, straight is best in my opinion. Also, activated charcoal tablets will help lots with this. Hope you get better. I know how it feels from seafood salad at a swanky place last year that ruined us afterwards. Everyone else had doctor appointments but I got well with my 4 buck bottle of ACV. Took it every 3-4 hours. Better in a day.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Apple cidar vinegar is some awesome stuff.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I also recommend seing a doctor. It would be useful to know if your turtle is a salmonella carrier (not all turtles are). Also, wash your hands before you eat! Ewww! :p

I'd put my money on the subway sandwich. I've been around tortoises my whole life and have never contracted salmonella. However, I've had food poisoning three times from eating out. Some of those fastfood restaurants are crawling with bacteria. This clip comes to mind (some food for thought) : http://www.omg-facts.com/Science/A-12-year-olds-Science-Project-Showed-Th/7374.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yep, on fast food restaurants. Then again, the 4 out of 6 of us that had the seafood salad at a swanky high priced place got hit last year. That kid with the Taco Bell taco shells on the news recently comes to mind. Major ewwww. Okay, that's it, more home cooking for now on.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Yep, on fast food restaurants. Then again, the 4 out of 6 of us that had the seafood salad at a swanky high priced place got hit last year. That kid with the Taco Bell taco shells on the news recently comes to mind. Major ewwww.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but what Taco Bell kid? Do you have a link?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I always have the torts fecal samples tested for salmonella and it has never been positive. If we are hedging bets my bet is on subway, specifically the lettuce, diagnosis giardia or more commonly known as beaver fever. Whatever it is I hope you get the care you need and have a speedy recovery!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I THINK that symptoms would take a bit longer than overnight to show up. I'll bet it was something else.

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
There's a lot going on here. If I remember correctly there are over 1000 types of salmonella bacteria. These bacteria can grow in all sorts of different hosts and circumstances. Waste from just about anything (including humans) can harbor the bacteria, but waste from animals that lay eggs is apparently more commonly found to harbor it. It also tends to turn up in produce and edible plants because of animal waste (think birds pooping on the plants in the fields) or because animal waste was used as a fertilizer. Eggs can also carry the salmonella bacteria externally (on the shell) or internally. So cook eggs before you eat them.
On a personal note I've kept reptiles for most of my life, cleaned a lot of cages and had a lot of angry animals poop on me- yet never knowingly have I gotten sick from salmonella poisoning. I did however get HORRIBLE food poisoning (along with some other friends) after eating at a Taco Bell near Tampa.
So wash your produce before you eat it. Wash your hands after you handle animals.
I do not worry about getting salmonella from a turtle any more than I worry about getting salmonella from the eggs in my refrigerator.
If you're sick see a doctor.
my two cents.
--Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.