Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
RainbowValley, AZ.
Anyone belong to this yahoo group..
"African-Tortoise"
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/African-Tortoise/
I was trying to join and was denied..I was just wondering if it was something I did that I was not allowed to join...I just thought it odd is all..hhmmm I guess I'm a little butt hurt...any-hoo just thought I would ask incase I wasn't the only one...
Hope I'm not breaking any rules posting this on our forum..?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to belong to that group, but all of the people who belong, have the same mind set. Everyone is afraid to have an opinion of their own. They have a good care sheet for sulcatas and leopards, but the folks on the list are afraid to go against the list-owner or question or improve their thinking. By any chance, did you mention in the notes that you are a sulcata breeder? They don't take kindly to sulcata breeders.

Yvonne

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
emysemys said:
I used to belong to that group, but all of the people who belong, have the same mind set. Everyone is afraid to have an opinion of their own. They have a good care sheet for sulcatas and leopards, but the folks on the list are afraid to go against the list-owner or question or improve their thinking. By any chance, did you mention in the notes that you are a sulcata breeder? They don't take kindly to sulcata breeders.

Yvonne
No I didn't so I figured the moderater is on this forum as well to know I breed these wonderful animals...Would you know who the moderater is by chance?
Just curious is all...No harm asking..Right?...Always good to know your enemies to avoid conflict...There are alot of bad breeders and I can understand not taking to breeders myself...I've seen alot of sad things over the years to make me have a huge distaste for humans...

You know if its because I breed these animals they are doing the animals a disservice not letting a breeder join..What better way to get your message out about the rescue problems with these animals..I breed doxies and there are plenty of people willing to take a rescue doxie but don't know how to go about it..When a buyer comes to me I refer them to rescue first before one of my animals leave my home...Breeding is not the problem..Its people... Animals are a gift from above to be loved and cared for by all...I try my best...but some just don't get it...Still want to know if breeding is why?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking about my response to your post while I was picking up horse manure, and I thought I should come back and clarify or re-state my opinion: The African Tortoise group is a really nice bunch of people, and I enjoyed my time on that list. However, they are not open to new or unorthodox ways of keeping tortoises, and I decided it wasn't the place for me. They are very helpful towards the new tortoise-keeper. I'm sure you would enjoy your time there if they had allowed you to join. I have no idea why you were refused. You might try sending them an email and see if they would tell you why you were refused membership. The list-owner is also the owner of Carolina Pet Supply, and you could reach him through that web site.

Yvonne

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
emysemys said:
I was thinking about my response to your post while I was picking up horse manure, and I thought I should come back and clarify or re-state my opinion: The African Tortoise group is a really nice bunch of people, and I enjoyed my time on that list. However, they are not open to new or unorthodox ways of keeping tortoises, and I decided it wasn't the place for me. They are very helpful towards the new tortoise-keeper. I'm sure you would enjoy your time there if they had allowed you to join. I have no idea why you were refused. You might try sending them an email and see if they would tell you why you were refused membership. The list-owner is also the owner of Carolina Pet Supply, and you could reach him through that web site.

Yvonne

Thank you Yvonne for taking the time to respond...Yup picking up horse pooh always leaves me time to think about things too...Now how can we potty train our horses..lol..

tortoiselady528

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Marla said:
Thank you Yvonne for taking the time to respond...Yup picking up horse pooh always leaves me time to think about things too...Now how can we potty train our horses..lol..

A little off topic, but I love it when I can catch it with a shovel before it hits the ground :).
I think that is as close to potty training as we will ever get.

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
tortoiselady528 said:
Marla said:

A little off topic, but I love it when I can catch it with a shovel before it hits the ground :).
I think that is as close to potty training as we will ever get.

It only works if the horse is not walking at the same time..lol..

emysemys said:

Yvonne
Well Yvonne I e-mailed the owner Joe of the site and asked him why...He replied that it was because I stated I've been breeding sulcata's and russians for twenty years...Well I must have worded it wrong because It took me a few years to grow my torts up to breeding age..any-hoo I explained who I was as a person and how the sulcatas fit into my life...or should I say ."I fit into their life"..lol..long story but how does one say who they are and what they do in the limits of a key board..any-hoo at least I know now and I can put my mind to rest....Thanks for helping me...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, most of us, myself included, frown upon sulcata breeding, but I don't understand why that would be a reason to not allow a person to join a listserv. There are those of us here on the forum who feel sulcatas are being over-bred, but we have welcomed you to our group and I feel we get along quite nicely. No one has had any bad words for you that I know of...and I have particularly enjoyed seeing the pictures of the albinos. (Have even given some thought to buying one if you have any more.)

Stick with us, Marla...We love you!!

Yvonne

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
Thanks for the kind welcome...I will save you a albino if I get more next season..you can google the reptile sites to see what they are going for..my price is always lower to good homes..I just don't ship animals..maybe someday

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
THEIR LOSS... NOT YOURS!!!! BE NOT GRIEVED.

They didn't like the truth on how to care for redfoot tortoises either! They still "paint-all-tortoises-with-the-same-brush" .....

NERD

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
Hey Marla,

I am a member of that group and while they are very nice and do have some good basic info I find I spend WAYYY more of my time over here as there is tons to learn and all different ideas. Lots of good folks who toss in their 2 cents and will debate differing opinions nicely. I sure do appreciate that as I have seen tons of forums that just peck and squabble all day long.

However if your curiosity is just killing you set up a free email and try again saying you are a new owner and want to learn. You aren't missing a whole lot, trust me.

I also have spent many hours over my lifetime in the zen-like pursuit of road apples. I was one of the few who always cleaned with a smile on her face. Now I have all of them out on acres of pasture and so that pastime is gone for better or worse!

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
redkim said:
Hey Marla,

I am a member of that group and while they are very nice and do have some good basic info I find I spend WAYYY more of my time over here as there is tons to learn and all different ideas. Lots of good folks who toss in their 2 cents and will debate differing opinions nicely. I sure do appreciate that as I have seen tons of forums that just peck and squabble all day long.

However if your curiosity is just killing you set up a free email and try again saying you are a new owner and want to learn. You aren't missing a whole lot, trust me.

I also have spent many hours over my lifetime in the zen-like pursuit of road apples. I was one of the few who always cleaned with a smile on her face. Now I have all of them out on acres of pasture and so that pastime is gone for better or worse!

I e-mailed with the owner of the group...I was curious to why anyone would deny me when they don't know me..Oh well..No biggy I guess..No breeders and I let my torts breed so I'm out...Kinda funny because the torts have to come from somewhere in order to have the tort group and I bet not all members do rescue either...

Status
Not open for further replies.