XRAY,OPTIONS,THEORY

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
I hope this photo doesn't weird anybody out, but I have decided to post here the prmary xray of my Jadely that was done in fine tunng the causes of her burrowing too much and not eating. The dark area, at least on top, is built up gas surroundng a small bit of stool. The xrays ruled out respiratory infections, foreign object ingestion/blockage, impactions, eggs. (If I were the type to assume Panacur is a panacea, based on the a "maybe theory", I wish I could squirt Panacur in her cloaca!). If husbandry changes nor other tricks do not pull Jadely out of this (or she decides brumation is over and there was nothng wrong physically), vet options are: sedaton with overnght stay for blood test and and enema to bring out stool for fecal exam, "somehow" gettng liquid food mix into her mouth or throat through syringe, invasive tube to insert food , both to get digestive tract "moving" again so her appetite reappears (the latter will just freak her out and she'll burrow more out of fear) Underlying medical causes, discomfort, psychological issues aside, my latest theory is there is a vicious circle going on. She is burrowing too far away from any decent temperatures (long story, regarding the actual temperature beneath the enclosure), her metabolism as well as digestive system reverts to or remains slow and she doesn't eat. Forced to havng Luna (tortoise#2) "in the way" in the enclosure isn't helping and he's not evoking any of her normally competive traits.

Attachments

• jadelyxray.jpg
    jadelyxray.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 14

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm not sure of your concern. Russians are brumating tortoises. If they are not allowed to brumate they seem to almost always spend sometime sleeping/burrowing more and eating less. My russian does this at least twice a year. I would just double check the temps are correct, and feed and water every day. About once a week during this time I will put him in a warm soak or his water dish if the water is warm. If you have two together then separate as this would be a problem and cause for hiding also.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Thank you. Yes I do soak every 5 days and before this new xray when suspecting a no nonexistent resp. infection recently did it more. I recently put up a lengthy post with a more detailed history and takng Yvonne's (from this group) advice have been "messing with her" which seems to be making a little progress in seeing her out of this stupor and even watching her walk to a bask area for a little while, on her own this This has bem going on too long. I have not actually seen her eat since Septmber or October and have not seen her come out on her own to bask since October or November-I forget which (and I don't know why this s unclear to me in my head as my focal pont n my fe are my tortoises. She had stopped romaine lettuce alll of a sudden (both my two's faves) and then ate on some kale and she was nbbling on the coco coir; whether this was to test a hibernation ground or she wanted to eat anything she could see that was not romaine suddenly is a mystery.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I agree with Wellington that you should separate your tortoises. She may be burrowing to avoid being bullied. Even if it doesn't look like bullying to you.